1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"It is now safe to turn off your computer" ?????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by c_wilson, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c_wilson

c_wilson Thread Starter

Hi,

I have two MSI Mobos, exactly the same model. Both with SATA hard drives and mostly the same configuration. One of them when you click on "shut down" displays the message "It is now safe to turn off your computer" and you have to hold the power button down to turn it off. The other PC shuts down just like it should automatically. I've been through all the settings I know as well as some registry fixes and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what could be causing this? How do I make this machine shut down automatically? I've even tried fresh installing windows as well as repair installs. Hope someone can help. Thanks.:(

Chris

2. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Ive had the same prob, kind of.
    read the info on this page: http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installation_of_windows_xp.htm

especially under this title: The Role of the F5 Key and Shutdown Problems

The option of pressing f5 at the time of install & choosing 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC ' worked for me.

Hope this helps.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you check the BIOS to make sure both have ACPI enabled?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice