1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IT job hiring and getting the job! HELP!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Grave_Digger, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grave_Digger

Grave_Digger Thread Starter

So I got hired three months ago at a hospital where I volunteered last years (2009) summer at their IT dept. and loved what the techs duties and the feel of the job environment!

I dont work at the IT dept. now I work in the OR as a surgical service assistant and need to work at this department for six months to move on to another dept.

So my question is for those who have gotten hired and work for IT:

What question do they ask you at the interview?
    What did you put on your resume?
    Certificates? or Experience?

As for those who do the hiring:

What was it about the Tech that tolled you there the right person for the job?
    What things do you look for?
    What made you automatically pass off a person?

2. valis

valis Moderator

What question do they ask you at the interview?
    They ask about experience, and generally put you in a situation where x, y, and z are given, how do you solve for a? Basic questions to test your knowledge, experience, and troubleshooting abilities.

What did you put on your resume?
    Work experience......and certs, to start with. After that, just study as much as you can and continue to upgrade your resume.

Certificates? or Experience?
    Both. Certs to get you in the door, and experience to move up the ladder. There is nothing that trumps experience; I frequently tell people that you can give someone a manual on how to fly an F-15, let them read that for a decade, and then turn them loose, and see how long it takes them to plow a billion dollar hole in the ground.

3. Grave_Digger

^^^I dont have any certificates at the moment to be honest.

also am going to be applying for a help desk at my hospital what questions can come form that?

also I think am going to go back and volunteer at a hospital and at their IT dept.

4. valis

valis Moderator

be sure to emphasize that you've done IT work on a volunteer basis. Starting out at a helpdesk is a great idea; you get the spectrum of weird issues coming through the door that way.

5. Grave_Digger

what question would they ask regarding the position?

6. valis

valis Moderator

well, 'have you had any experience' is probably the first one. If you can get past that, basic troubleshooting questions. I remember I was asked how to migrate a user-profile that was on a domain; there's quite a few different answers to that one, dependent upon OS and a zillion other variables, so I just gave them a couple options and then shut up.

Again, it's all about experience. If you are comfortable working with/on computers, you shouldn't have any issues selling yourself. There are tons of online tutorials for stuff like the A+/Net+ certs, which are the entry level ones you need to start to get to the higher level certs.

But the main thing is experience. I sort of fibbed my way into my first job, but I'd been tinkering with computers for about 20 years prior to taking a job in the IT industry. As a result of that, the one job I had that wasn't for a huge company I was the default IT guy, and I got a ton of experience there.

7. Grave_Digger

Nice!!!! :cool:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice