1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

It just won’t die: Windows XP gets another six months

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by RootbeaR, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RootbeaR

RootbeaR Thread Starter

"Recent market data showed that more than one third of new PC buyers choose to downgrade their Vista installations to Windows XP. Another research revealed that enterprise users, one of Microsoft's key markets, are even less inclined to dump XP for the newer operating system."
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39594/140/

2. hewee

hewee

My new Dell Vostro 410 I got the XP Pro downgrade for $99.00. XP Pro sp2 was the installed OS and I got the same on a CD along with a Vista CD.

3. WWEFreak666

WWEFreak666

I know why people are choosing to downgrade. I suppose when people go out and buy a low spec'd computer with Vista on it, I wouldn't blame them.. But if your willing to spend money, Vista on a good computer runs as good, if not better than XP. For example, my new PC cost me about $800. It's 2.4 GHz and 3.0 GB RAM. I have yet to experience any significant problems with Vista and I do not plan on downgrading to XP unless Vista crashes, simply because I do not have a copy of Vista and I do know that my computer would be even faster if I ran XP on it. It's just the simple fact that Vista takes higher specs than what XP does and if you compare Vista on a great computer and then install XP on it afterwards, of course XP is going to win, but what Vista offers that XP doesn't makes it all worth while for me personally.

4. BobsComputerSvc

BobsComputerSvc

Ok so here is how I see it. Home users just cannot adapt to change. I mean look at Windows it has had the same looking user interface since Windows 95. I see this everyday in my profession people slamming Vista just because they cannot use it. People need to get over it and start to use Vista. Now on the other side there are business users and I do not suggest a switch there yet because the companies would have to upgrade their pc's to run it. Now if this was a new company just starting I would recommend getting Vista boxes. SO that is where I stand on the whole Vista thing.

5. hewee

hewee

I guess with Vista you can do the same with XP and turn off lots of the things that just take up cpu and memory by Slimming Down Windows XP

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR Thread Starter

Home users don't have to upgrade? Just business'?

Why should anyone switch to Vista, Windows 7 is just around the corner.

I guess myself and so many others were so afraid of change we went to Linux.

7. BobsComputerSvc

BobsComputerSvc

I think that home users should upgrade. I am a tech all day long i see people comming in with mid lvl P4's with 256 - 512Mb ram. People these days should be using a Vista box with a Duel Core and atleast 2gb ram. Now for business it is not worth it to change yet. It would cost way to much to buy or upgradeall thre pc's to run Vista. Also from what i hear the new Windows isn't going to launch until around 2010. Not so much around the corner.

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR Thread Starter

I hear '09.
    One computer or a hundred, makes no difference as a second isn't added unless it is a benefit. Except they can probably buy bulk cheaper than I can buy one unit(Going to give me a deal or am I shopping elsewhere?).
    You forgot the graphics card. And it is still too expensive for me. I don't have the funds available that a business has nor can I write it off as an expense, making it that much cheaper for the business to do so.

There is no economical benefit to upgrade and switch to Vista, else business' would do so. Meaning you will be no more productive on Vista than you are on XP.

The benefits go to MS, hardware companies and support.

One graphics card for me $800.

One hundred graphics cards for Company $80 000? More like $72 000 max. (10% off)

$72 000 expense X 40% tax rate is $28 800 in tax savings

72000-28800=$43 200

One graphics card for company? $432.

If it is worth it for home user, why isn't it as well for business at almost half the cost?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Because that will be a much bigger change, won't be on time and if you think Vista was "buggy", with all the changes for "7" I can imagine how "buggy" it will be.

10. BobsComputerSvc

BobsComputerSvc

I am going to have to agree that 7 will probaly be extreamly buggy at launce. And I bet that we dont see it unit late last 1/4 of 2010.

11. allheart55

allheart55

I agree, I think it will be released late and it will be more problematic than Vista initially was. :D I can't wait!! I beta tested Vista and I was a bit disappointed at first with the differences between the last beta and the final released version. I hear 2010 and the only mention of 09 was for Win 7 Beta testing.......(y) I'm ready....

12. RootbeaR

RootbeaR Thread Starter

Bigger than XP to Linux?

What are the changes for "7?"

I agree with what is said here on the podcast:
    http://forums.techguy.org/tech-related-news/756446-tsg-5-evil-empires-version.html

They will just rename Vista. With some minor changes.

13. Wino

Wino

I skipped ME and intend doing the same with Vista. Have worked with Vista and found it lacking, slow, intrusive (some of the nice things I have to say) and have no intentions of buying new software or hardware just to be compatible when XP is doing just fine. Am also doing dual boot on two machine with Ubuntu Hardy Heron and will probably make one a sole Linux machine. I also have a couple of spare (unused) XP SP2 disk that I will eventually use on new builds.

14. CTPhil

CTPhil

Why?

If you like your mid level PC with XP, and it does everything you need it to, why must you upgrade to something you don't want or need?

I'm planning to keep my current computers going until I'm forced to do something else by whatever unforseen circumstances would make them unviable. No apologies.

15. BobsComputerSvc

BobsComputerSvc

You are WAYYYY off there for price on a video card. You can get a video card that will run all Vista functions for only $59.95 it is the GeForce 8400.
    If you pay $800 for a video card just to run Vista then come to my store.(y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice