1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

it posted, but

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karleberts, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karleberts

karleberts Thread Starter

I finally got my new system to post --

http://forums.techguy.org/t116856/sf640a2a5a1fd6a86b2c92c6d449d7b12.html
    (for specs)
    however, now when I boot it up occasionally it will hang at the bios screen, even if it does make it past this part though, I still have problems. After it says that the post has completed and it will now boot the operating system, it will appear to be booting (the little white progress indicator at the bottom of the screen gets about halfway through), but it will stop after a short amount of time. I tried booting from a cd to see if I could reinstall windows, but again, it booted partially, then stopped. What am I doing wrong this time?

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Does the hard drive you are trying to install have an operating system on it taht was installed on another computer? If it does then you are going to run into some problems. Try this.

Disconnect the hard drive and CDRom. Insert a windows 98 boot disk (floppy) into the floppy drive then power up the system. Does it POST normally and take you to the boot disk. (Make sure that in the BIOS setup that you have it set to boot to the floppy drive first.)

Let us know.

3. karleberts

well it does have an OS, but as I said I also tried booting from a winXP cd to reinstall, I also tried several linux distro disks. Anyway, it does boot to a win98 bootdisk, I left the hdd and the cd drive connected though.

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

IMHO you need to run fdisk to wipe and re-create the partitions as well as reformat the hard drive. The problem is most likely the hardware configurations from the old system that still reside on the hard drive are conflicting with the new mobo settings. If you decide to try this, make sure that the hard drive jumper is set to master and that the hard drive is on the Primary IDE port. I would set the jumper on the CDRW or CDRom to master also and put it on the Secondary IDE port. Once the hard drive is reformatted you should be able to set the boot option to CDRom first and install XP with the CDRom.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

5. karleberts

It is reformatting now, if this works then thanks alot. I'll report back soon.

6. karleberts

Didn't work....I fdisked and reformatted the drive, but the setup still freezes. It shows the messages "press [f6] if you need to install second party IDE or RAID drivers" and "Press [f2] to run Automated System Recovery", but after the second message disappears, nothing more happens. Eventually the cd drive spins down, and stops.

7. torgo

torgo

what is the brand and model# of your HDD, is it ATA 133 or ATA 100?

-need to know this as it might help me figure out your problem.

-i have built 8 systems with that board so far with diff configs so
    hopefully I can figure this out.

8. karleberts

the hdd is a samsung spinpoint SV1533D (yes it is a piece of crap). I believe it's ATA100. I hope you can help me figure it out. I spent about 6 hours trying different stuff and looking for info yesterday, but to no avail.

9. karleberts

After getting memtest86 (www.memtest86.com) I found that not only did it register one 256M DIMM as 512M of ram, but it also came up with millions of errors. Do you think bad memory would cause this problem? In any case I have just requested an RMA for the RAM.

10. torgo

torgo

yes, the memory could. I also think that the board is not compatible with ata 100 drives.

11. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Yep, Bad memory will definitely do that to a system.

12. karleberts

A quote from the Asus website says:

IDE Ports
    2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33

Is that what I'm looking for? I was going to buy a new hdd for this system anyway, but I didn't have the money for it, if this one is incompatible, then I'll have to expedite the process.

13. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Considering you had all those errors from the MemTest, I'd go with replacing the memory first. Get some good name brand RAM like Crucial, Corsair, Samsung, etc. Maybe you could return your current memory for a different brand? It's new right?

14. karleberts

Yeah, it's new, I've already signed up for a replacement, though. I'm gonna be shipping out the old RAM today.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice