1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IT procurement System

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cahmadh, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cahmadh

cahmadh Thread Starter

Hi,

I am looking for an open source IT procurement system with basic functionality.

The purpose is to handle loads of new requests, PO's, Invoices, deliverty notes etc

Thanks in advance.

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG cahmadh!
    Amazingly? I've never heard of an IT procurement system. I would think any procurement/accounting system would adapt to IT.

Reminds me of a joke:

How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Zero, that's a hardware problem!

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Does it need to be open source? In any case, a simple google search for "procurement software" yields dozens of possibilities. There is nothing particularly special about procuring IT products and services. How well it works depends on the skill and knowledge of the buyer, not the software used to generate the paperwork.

Several years ago, I was the Procurement Manager for an engineering and consulting firm, so have a bit of experience in this area. Because the procurement function encompasses many different areas of a company's operation (RFPs, POs, subcontracts, receiving, invoicing, payment processing, returns, collections, and others, adoption of any system must be a company-wide commitment or it won't succeed no matter how good the software. Also, in most such systems I'm familiar with, the invoicing and payment functions are kept totally separate from the rest of the process.

4. valis

valis Moderator

5. cahmadh

cahmadh Thread Starter

@draceplace: Yeah you are right any procurement system will do the job, but what i meant by IT procurement system was a system which could have pre-populated IT fields like printers, network devices, etc so i don't need to reinvent the wheel from start.

We do have a very robust ERP system which takes care of the business needs but unfortunately the license cost is too expensive to have a IT module integrated with it, i am hoping to get something which in internal within the dept to keep track IT requests, as of now excel is doing the job but it's not sufficient when it comes to reports.

I tired searching on Google but it gives me a lot of cloud based Procurement solutions which are either very costly. I checked "coupa" but to be very honest the open source installation looks like a big task to me (Don't know much about programming stuff)

I am hoping to get a software, web based or application based where i can feed data and track the status of the users request.

6. valis

valis Moderator

that is sorta the entire idea of 'open source'....any one can work on it.....

are you just looking for a free one?

7. cahmadh

cahmadh Thread Starter

Not exactly, i can pay as long as it will do the job and not too costly.

8. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

What do you consider "not too costly?" A full-scope software solution, without any customization for your situation, is likely to be $50K on up.

9. cahmadh

cahmadh Thread Starter

I am looking for purchase initialization and tracking only and not bothered about the documentation since it has to be done manually (taking signatures and all) as per our policy.Found this...

http://www.glpi-project.org/?lang=en

Testing it let's see how it goes.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice