1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

it say connected but am not connected

Discussion in 'Networking' started by abrand888, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abrand888

abrand888 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have three hot public spots near my home that I can connect to. My setup is different because I am using a antenna connected to a usb lan drive and pick up great signals. I can receive and send packets in windows according to status-properties and it stated I am connected but all of a sudden after six months, any of the three spots aren't working to go on line. I am getting 3 or 4 bars so the signal is strong but something universal to all three spots isn't working.

How can I trouble shoot this problem because if I use dial-up, I can go on CIS and Firefox but not wirelessly.

Something weird is common to all connections that aren't really connected but it states it is connected.

Thanks

Ambertape

2. reezin14

reezin14

The Hot spots my have enabled security,where you've to have a subscription in order to get the network key or something to that effect.Could just be a temporary problem in the neighborhood.I would go to the shops and see what I can find out.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Sometimes hot spots don't equate to free.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. abrand888

abrand888 Thread Starter

Thanks. Reset my tcp/ip and all is ok.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/640540