1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Itbarlayout

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Deke40, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

I got a popup warning from Spybot S&D Resident of ItBarLayout.

I denied it and checked "remember this action or whatever that says".

I then ran Adaware, Spybot and HijackThis with nothing showing up.

I then searched the registry for that item and found three instances of it under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\Explorer

I deleted all three and can find nothing else on my harddrive of it.

Should I run anything else?

PS-I just rebooted and checked the regitry again and the one under the above key under "Webbrowser keeps coming back.

PS-I was checking a link found on and old post on TechGuy when this thing poped up.

2. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

I have spent the last hour checking the Itbarlayout item out and am beginning to think it is supposed to be there and something was trying to change it and Spybot S&D stopped it.

Would somebody with W98Se look under the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

Look in the subkeys Exployer, ShellBrowser and WebBrowser and see if there is a value there named Itbarlayout in each one.

3. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

^^^^
    Bump

Somebody out there has to be on W98Se and can help me with this.

4. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

I just got hold of a friend in another town with W98SE and he has the same entries in the registry.

So I guess my thought on this was something trying to change the settings and install something was correct.

Good old Spybot is on the job and kicking butt. Either Resident "SD Helper" or
    or "Teatimer" stopped it.

Attached Files:

5. RobertsJJ

RobertsJJ

Deke,

I too love Spybot. However, for this item, it was unclear to me what was being placed in my Registry.

The ITBarLayout means (roughly my guess): Internet Explorer Toolbar Layout.

If you find you are unable to move your Links tool bar (for example) and have it stay there between closing and re-opening the browser, then the ITBarLayout is being blocked. Spybot will show you the blocking when you move the tool bar. You will be able to move the tool bar, but it will not stay there when you re-open the browser.

This seems to be a new addition to IE and it is on ALL versions of Windows (right up to XP Pro). So, it seems like a useful Registry item to allow.

Now, to re-allow it you can right-click on the Spybot icon in your Task Bar (lower right by the clock) and choose Settings. Then select "Blocked registry changes" from the "Black & White List" window, and click the X next to that entry (and it will disappear form the Black List). Then when you move a toolbar in IE Spybot will catch it again but you should allow the change and tell Spybot to remember your decision.

Best of Success,
    - RobertsJJ

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice