1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Items dissapear in recycle bin

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jthenerd, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jthenerd

jthenerd Thread Starter

i noticed when i open the recycle bin my items in there dissapear but when you click empty recycle bin it deletes so many items.Could someone tell me where to go to change this setting

Os is xp pro

2. zephyr

zephyr

Try running the attached file (after renaming it with an .reg extension) and see if it can work some magic on your problem.

It's necessary to reboot after running it.

Attached Files:

3. jthenerd

jthenerd Thread Starter

did not work how do i remove it

4. jthenerd

jthenerd Thread Starter

still doing the same thing.It seems like its refreshing over and over again.

5. zephyr

zephyr

There's nothing to remove as pertains to this reg action. It merely restores the standard lines in all the places in the Registry as they should be. No harm done.

You are probably missing some system file or some 3rd party program has corrupted your Recycle Bin.

Run SFC /scannow and have your original Windows install disk ready in case it's needed.

A more extreme method is to boot to the Recovery Console and delete the Recycle Bin (actually it a folder called Recycled) and then when you reboot, it'll recreate itself anew and probably work normally. You may need to invoke the attrib command to remove the Hidden attribute (attrib -h) or else you won't be able to address the folder.

Wait, there's more!! :D You can also repair your present installation of Windows by using the Recovery Console. When doing so, remember this, don't select the first option "R" but proceed as it to reinstall the system anew. You'll get a second chance to repair the existing install, select that "R" and it won't cost you any of your present data or settings.

On the whole, I think I'd just tolerate the problem until something worse happens. ;)

6. zephyr

zephyr

Oh me, I just remembered this; the last time I had someone use that repair procedure they reported that it was necessary to reboot and then DUMP the Recycle Bin and reboot a second time. Give that a shot and keep your fingers crossed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice