1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

It's all a mess- where to start? REstart?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wish_I_Knew, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wish_I_Knew

Wish_I_Knew Thread Starter

HI guys,

TOSHIBA SATELLITE P10 SERIES 3 YRS OLD
    INTEL (R)
    CPU PENTIUM (R) 4
    2.66 GHZ
    512 MBRAM

I'm not sure what is THE problem and what is symptoms of THE problem (or many problems??!!)

Here's what I know/assume:
    1. Started with Hardware error when system crashes using I-tunes to burn audio cds. This problem "randomly" continues still and does so in windows media player also. Error report from windows reads: serious problem- back up files and checK RAM, System board, CPU or Power supply

2. Now when i attempt to play dvds the software either cannot open them or they freeze. Windvd seems to be the most reliable -as in I can "unfreeze" it and continue. In other applications like windows the whole system will freeze. (It may be important that I have an american computer and watch only american dvds as my region changes have run out?)
    The dvds I insert are american. an error code used to appear it sometimes says something about a sound card sometimes it said something about a video card. This has actually stopped happening if I use windows media player and windvd. I think it had something to do with interactual software that bonavista installed automatically when I tried to watch Monsters Inc. I have removed that software and now receive no error reports just freezing.

3. I thought to resolve problem by buying (and installing) an external driver (then I would be able to watch european dvds as well! :) ) but my system failed to run the new dvd driver when a dvd was inserted but would read data files no problem. Error report when trying to open the device to watch a dvd read "impossible function". ( I only inserted european dvds into the driver- didn't bother to try american ones)

4. (burst into tears and returned driver)

5. Regained control and started investigating...what i can surmise is:

Computer is overloaded with non-plug and pray, drivers, software in general from well meaning people trying to solve my DVD/CD player.
    I believe some driver component is missing from same well meaning people removing programs
    reinstalled toshiba recovery applications / drivers dvd for satellite p10 series
    no good came of it.

Whole system is running very slow and freezes often. esp. with i-tunes or media players.

This is where I am at now...hope this makes sense and that you can help. Feeling very overwhelmed.

2. norton850

norton850

Can't really tell you if you have a hardware, malware, or software/driver problem. Big help huh? :D You need to proceed in some organized manner, however. Are you sure that you are free of viruses and other malware?

3. Wish_I_Knew

Wish_I_Knew Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick reply.
    What is malware and how would I know if I have it?
    Norton anti-virus expired a few months ago but problem occured while system was highly secure with spybots and all sorts of protective stuff. would you like me to scan for viruses again before going further? Would like to proceed in organised manner: WHAT IS THAT?
    Thanks again for your help!

4. norton850

norton850

Malware includes viruses, spyware and other things. Basically anything that was put on your computer without your permission. Not certain that that's your problem, but as I said it's a place to start, even though it sounds like something else is screwed up. You should have an up date anti virus program running anyway. If you don't want to update your Norton, then consider something for free like AVG .

Some of the error messages you are getting would be helpful also.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice