1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

It's all just desperately embarrassing really !

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by melchizedek, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melchizedek

melchizedek Thread Starter

I'm a total noob to linux...so much so in fact that although I've had computers for over 20 years, I'm beginning to wonder whether I know anything at all.

Anyway...my problem (apart from my near exhausted mental state). Am trying to install my speedtouch USB modem. Have looked up all the necessary threads on how to do it, downloaded all the necessary files etc...no probs there.

So I have to copy the mgmt.o file to usr/share/speedtouch...well I looked around and found this file to download. So all I have to do is copy it to the usr/share/speedtouch folder right ????

I double click the floppy icon......as I downloaded the file from windows (as my linux internet connection is not working till I install the modem), and copied it to a floppy. Its there...no problems. So where do I copy it to ? I looked for a linux version of Windows explore, in order to track down the usr/share/speedtouch folder...couldn't really find one, but think that the nautilus file manager thingy will do the trick. So I find the right folder.....find out fairly instantly that you can't drag and drop in linux...OK...so, I'll just copy the file and paste it into the open nautilus window. Copy works fine. But when I right click in nautilus to paste the file in the desired folder, there is no paste option highlighted.

How on earth do I copy files over in linus. I'm looking for something like a windows explorer program that shows every file in my linux partitions, so I can find what I'm looking for and move stuff about.

Does this exist...or is there an alternative.

I know this is a fundemental question...all rather embarrassing...but if I don't ask, I don't think I'll get anywhere at all.

Now no laughing...be gentle ;)

Kind regards...mel

2. lynch

lynch

What Linux distribution/version are you using?I'd guess Redhat if your using Gnome/Nautilus as a file browser.
    Well,I dont use Gnome so I cant help you there,except to say that if the paste function is grayed out,you probably are not logged on as root.But if you open a terminal so you can use a command line,I think I can help:
    1. Log on as root: su - Then type the root password
    2. Make sure the floppy is mounted: mnt /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy (this last depends on what distribution you use,so check your /mnt directory for the right name of the floppy mount point)
    3. OK.Now you can copy the file: cp /mnt/floppy/mgmt.o /usr/share/speedtouch
      [/list=1]
      Alternatively,if you use KDE and Konqueror,it does have drag and drop funtionality.
      HTH
      lynch

3. melchizedek

melchizedek Thread Starter

Thanks Lynch :)

I'm using Mandrake 9.1.

The whole command line tip worked a treat...and the file was thus copied...so thanks for that.

Now the problem I'm having is that when I use the wizard to connect up, everything is going fine...it autodetects my modem, I type in my details etc. But I'm flummoxed as to which driver to choose. They all seem to be for ethernet cards etc and none obviously spring to mind as being the one I want. There are none mentioning alcatel or speedlink etc. I've tried a few random ones but they all keep telling me that I don't have the card and as a result the wizard takes me back a few steps to let me try again.

Am I missing something here ? Anyone know ?

Kind regards...mel

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!