1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved It's been 3 weeks and still a black screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Atreus, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Atreus

Atreus Thread Starter

So i make this post to help my friend. He just bought a new motherboard Asus x470 pro, processor 2600X and 16 DDR4 ram Ballistix Sport Lt.
    The problem it's he have a black screen and 1 long beep and 2 shorts ones. He tried everything, buy new sets of ram, a second motherboard, but nothing work. It's been 3 weeks. I know the graphic card function correctly and the power supplie because he can use them when he reassemble his pc with the old parts :/ The only thing he didn't change was the processor, could it be the issue ? But why the beeps are not about processor problems and instead it correspond to the ram if we believe Asus troubleshooting guide. https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1029959

Ps: I've build many pc's for the past 10 years for me and my friends and i've never seen a case like this. Seriously he tried every 32 combination of ram, removed and change almost everything etc... Nothing seem to work :/
    Ps2: He has vga screen with an hdmi adaptator. But he just tested because someone told him it could be the problem with an hdmi screen and the problem still persist.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you read the guide at the top of the forum for problem builds? If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your no POST condition.
    Just a note. I have built a number of ryzen systems and used corsair vengeance ram in all of them; worked without any problems.

3. Atreus

Atreus Thread Starter

Yes and everything in the guide has already been tested multiple times and more. It's why i'm that desperate for my friend and decided to create an account just to post this. Maybe i will find help. But i'm not gonna lie, i seriously thinking is the CPU and that he need to change it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you could not have done everything in the guide and not know what is causing the problem. The last steps are to swap parts with known good ie working units [not new] OR to test your parts in a bench or test system. If you had swapped every part with a known working unit, you would know what is causing the problem.

5. Atreus

Atreus Thread Starter

I can assure you, i'm not lying. It's on my post, it's been 3 weeks of trying, changing parts, testing everything from this post and others: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/troubleshooting-guide-for-problem-builds.580000/
    Maybe i'm mistaken and we are not talking about the same post. Sorry if my english is not that good. It's not my first language :)
    Ps: We are pretty sure that is the processor but because we don't have a spare one, we can't be certain. And like i said i'm not that young and i have build many pc's for the past 10 years and it's the first time having that type of problem.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have swapped ALL parts with known good units [not new, known working] with the exception of the processor, then you already have your answer.
    Note known good does not mean new; it means a part you pulled from a working system that you know works. A new motherboard, new pw supply, etc can be DOA and that can really mess up your troubleshooting.

7. Atreus

Atreus Thread Starter

You are right and my argument it's flawed because we don't have an other pc or bench compatible with all the part.
    Ps: We did test on the old build, the graphic card, power supplies and screens of course.

When it didn't work the first time, my friend bough a new mother board more recent.
    Because he was thinking that the BIOS were at fault but that didn't work out.

After because of the beeps (1 long and 2 short on Asus board) that annonce a memory problem, he bought a new HyperX ram that ASUS say it's compatible with the new motherboard. But it still not work. So we think it's the processor but in reality he could be the unluckiest guy around and it could be one of the 3. It's we wanted help because his budget is in the red and he is pretty tired.

8. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

What is the exact processor name? What's the exact RAM ....make/model...ddr3 or ddr4?

9. Atreus

Atreus Thread Starter

Update: So it was the processor ! He removed it for the 10 times and magically it worked ! So probably a small bend pin, my gosh it is always the more stupid thing. I'm so tired, it's been weeks, i'm going to sleep.
    Thank you very much :)

10. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

What type of cable are you using to connect monitor....HDMI, DVI, D-port or VGA? It could be a bad cable.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You were getting the memory beep code because the memory controller is part of the processor. Most likely the poor connection was in the pins for the memory controller.
    Glad you were able to get it working (y)(y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!