1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

It's dying on me...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by CrazyEyes955, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyEyes955

CrazyEyes955 Thread Starter

Aug 30, 2008
    Ok. Here's a rundown of what has been happening:

It started with receiving the blue screen of death code : Page Fault in Non Paged Area
    I had accidentally shut down the computer during an update, but had restarted it and finished the update.
    Then programs started to crash easily, like firefox and chrome. The Steam client and games also crash.
    CPU performance seems to always have it running at 100% on both cores, whereas usually they're both at 2%.
    Lastly, when booting up it stayed on the same beginning screen showing Asus for 5 minutes, until it delivered the start up tune again and proceeded to start up as usual.

I have used the memory utility to check the RAM.
    I have done the file format checking time and time again.
    I have scanned the system with several times with Norton.

I have not installed anything as far as hardware goes. Software, nothing except for maybe a game.

My next thought is just to attempt a repair install with the disc it came with.

Here are my system's stats:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3070 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS , 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152621 MB, Free - 20114 MB; D: Total - 142620 MB, Free - 131611 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. , M70Vm , 1.0 , BSN12345678901234567
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled

Thanks for any help.
  2. Sponsor

3. lunarlander

Sep 21, 2007
    I would run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and see if that finds anything.

If that fails to find anything, then I would do the repair install. Just remember to backup stuff to a USB memory stick first.

Firefox and Chrome are pretty basic applications and should not crash, unless, if you go to a hacked website, then its a maybe.
  4. BCGreatness

Sep 14, 2011
    would you consider a system restore if you have any points saved before that update was installed? that should fixer right up =)
  5. CrazyEyes955

CrazyEyes955 Thread Starter

Aug 30, 2008
    Malwarebytes detected nothing just as Norton had. Any reasons I shouldn't try the repair install?
    Everything was already backed up. Everything important.
  6. Megabite

Apr 5, 2008
    You can try a repair install but you will loose all your updates
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1019962