1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

It's me again, 3 anti-virus on xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by soaringxh3n, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soaringxh3n

soaringxh3n Thread Starter

hello
    Its me again, my problem was not being able to get into windows XP, even through safe mode. Some people has told me it may be because i had more than 1 Anti-Virus program running, i was running symatec,avg, and panda titanium.

my friend told me that i can disable the anti-virus programs by going to the bios. But i dont know how, so far ive tried F1, F8, F10 and Delete. All of those goes to a menu which gives these options, Safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with networking, Last known good configuration.

but none of those will let me get into windows not even safe mode, is there a way i can get to the bios? :confused:

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You do not get into the BIOS from Windows, but thats not the issue because you cannot affect the loading of programs from BIOS anyway.

Use your XP system disk, boot from the CD and choose the Repair option.

You should never run more than 1 AV program. But thats now clear I guess.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    The AV's shouldn't stop you from loading in SafeMode since they're aren't even started when you run in SafeMode. What happens when you try to start in SafeMode? Do you get any error messages?

4. rude

rude

Someone once told me,and I haven't tested it out yet,if you turn off the computer,hold the Ctrl key down and then turn the computer back on(all the while holding the Ctrl key) that Windows will load without anything else loading. Maybe give it a try and if you can at least get Windows up and running,you can do what you can to clean up your system.

Those people who told you about having more than 1 antivirus are right.It can lead to major conflicts,which I'm sure you are now aware of.Just select 1 good program,keep it updated and you will have all you need.

5. soaringxh3n

ok thanks Rude told me something new imma try that, i have posted about this problem more than once, yeah Windows CD wont boot, when i login to windows there is only a desktop picture... then 1 min later Symatec Anti Virus Failed To Load, *Logs Off* goes back to account menu and i choose an account and same thing happens over and over

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Something's really messed up because when Windows loads in SafeMode, no startup proghrams are loaded so I can't see how Norton is causing that in SafeMode.

As far as booting to the CD, you most lilely just need to get into the BIOS setup and set the boot sequence to CdRom, Floppy then Harddrive. Then it should boot to the CD.

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Something's really messed up because when Windows loads in SafeMode, no startup proghrams are loaded so I can't see how Norton is causing that in SafeMode.

As far as booting to the CD, you most likely just need to get into the BIOS setup and set the boot sequence to CDRom, Floppy then Harddrive. To get into your BIOS setup, look on the screen when it first boots up and it will tell you what key to press. Most are the DEL or F1 key. Once you've changed the boot sequence, it should boot to the CD.

8. rude

rude

I made a mistake,the button you need to hold down is Shift.I knew I had it somewhere and here it is:
    Have you ever turned on your computer and just wanted to get into a program but had to wait for Windows to load?

Well, there are these little programs in your "Start Up" folder, that are launched when Windows is loading, that add to the already long load time.

If you hold down the SHIFT key while Windows is loading, you will by-pass these programs in the "Start Up" folder. Doing this will allow Windows to load up faster because it won't be launching additional programs

9. soaringxh3n

hey rude thanks this information is really interesting and imma try it right now to see if it may fix my problem. if it doesnt work ill try it on this computer too, to see if the shift button really works (y) thanks rude

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice