1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Its me again. CD/ROM drive problems

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by dartagnon01, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dartagnon01

dartagnon01 Thread Starter

Hi Guys, second posting hot on the heels of the first. Problem with the desktop PC this time. I was recently given a 4 year old Packard Bell iMedia 3064 running XP Home, 2002. AMD Athlon XP3000+ 2.16 Ghz, 512MB Ram, 80Gb HDD. This worked fine but had not been used on the net so had not received any updates. I connected to Microsoft and brought the PC up to date including installing Service Pack 2 and IE7. After doing this, the CD/DVD rom drive icon dissapeared from 'My Computer' and I could no longer write to the drive as it vanished from the right click menu also. I tried a registry fix posted on this board by John Will which worked first time (thanks John) by restoring the drive to its location on 'My Computer'. sadly, its still not on the right click menu so I am unable to burn to disc even with Windows Media Player 11, music or pictures as a box appears saying there is no disc in the drive even when a known good disc is in there. I have downloaded CDBurnerXP which now allows me to burn to disc. Is there any way I can restore the facility on the right click menu or place CDburnerXP on it so as not to have to go through hoops each time I want to write to disc?. Any leads greatly appreciated.

2. 00trav

00trav

i didn't see your first post, but did you try to disconnecting the cd drive (when the computer is unplugged), booting up, and then shut down, connect and boot up and see if windows recognizes it. amazingly this solves most hardware recognition problems in windows (especially if it worked previously).

3. jack213

jack213

How'do,

Not sure what caused your problem, but there is plenty of info on it if you google it. Try having a look here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/
    and see if any of this apply's to your situation.

When you get it sorted, you might also find this handy little power-toy useful http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

As well as what was suggested in other post, you might have a look in your device manager (right click "my computer" - properties - hardware - device manager ) and see if you have any yellow exclaimation marks.

If you do, it could be a driver problem.

In any event, wait for one of the experts to come along here and advise you before making any system changes. Good luck

4. dartagnon01

dartagnon01 Thread Starter

A strange one, this. I recall a message flashing up when I downloaded and installed iTunes 7. I cant remember the exact wording, but the word 'registry' was in there somewhere and it advised me to uninstall iTunes, which I did but no difference. However, I have just downloaded and installed iTunes again without problem. I can rip cd's and burn music onto cd now. Also the drive has re-appeared on the 'right click' menu once more but, if trying to burn photos or data, the drive still invites me to insert a blank disc even if there is one in there. But I can burn photos, data or music using CDBurnerXP so, at least I have a choice now instead of no means of burning at all. Thanks for taking the time to reply and help me out guys, I appreciate it, many thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice