1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Its SLOW n i want to Format it

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zeez143, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeez143

zeez143 Thread Starter

my windows xp is very slow .. i only have one drive and i want to format it but i get an error msg that says: Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again.

i close everything n try again...still no use.. what should i do? :confused:

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Boot with the XP install CD to do the format

3. zeez143

zeez143 Thread Starter

u mean i let the cd b there while im formatting?! .. sorry im kinda slow at these things ..

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

5. rude

rude

1. Go into the Bios and make sure to set the boot order to CD first.
    Then put the CD into the CD Rom and restart the computer.The computer will start up to a black screen saying "To boot from CD press any key..." You have to be quick because you only have about 5 seconds to press any key.That should get you started.

Be aware that you will need to re-install all Microsoft patches as well as SP1

6. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Are you trying to format your main (C:) drive?
    This will erase any data that you have on the drive.

If yes, put your windows XP cd in the cdrom drive and reboot your computer. This should[1] prompt you durring the boot up to "press any key to boot from CD". Press any key. It will take a few minutes to load.... Then it will ask you if you want to install or repair XP. Choose install. Select to format the current partition. This will foramt the drive and install XP.

BTW....
    After it is finished installing XP, there are a few steps you should take immediately to help prevent your computer from getting infected by viri and spyware. Which could make it "slow" again very soon. Turn on the XP firewall (control pannel->network connections->right click on LAN connection and select properties->advanced tab->check box to enable firewall->click OK). Now use windows update (located in the startmenu programs group) to apply all of the critical and security updates. (maybee not SP2... but atleast all of the others)

There are several other steps that would be very good to take for security purposes.... Including installing a virus scanner. But the above steps are critical for keeping your computer safe.

[1] if it does not give you the option to boot from the CD, and the installer does not start, you may need to enable booting from CD in the BIOS. Post here for more instruction on doing that....

7. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

*grumble*
    I didn't mean for (C: ) to turn into a smillie....

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice