1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ITT: engaged in a life-or-death struggle with my mobo. first build.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crabsmack, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crabsmack

crabsmack Thread Starter

Alright guys, really need some desktop build help.

I've been assembling my first build, and it mostly has been going well. However, went I went to test boot the system, outside the case, I encountered problems. My PSU starts up for about a second, fans run, phase led lights up, then the PSU clicks and turns off. A second later, it starts again. This cycle repeats until I switch the PSU off.

I have tested what parts I could independently, and what I have determined is that the PSU is completely fine, and that no combination of plugging/ungplugging parts has gotten it to stay on when plugged into the mobo. I have tried with less RAM, with no video card, I've tried resetting the CMOS. None have worked. I am in my hour of need.

What could possibly be the problem? Would a defective mobo cause an issue like this? A defective processor? Is there anyway to determine what exactly is causing my issue?

I'd really love to get this thing together, but it's been like 4 hours of messing with it and nothing has worked. I now come to you. Please, help me.

My parts are an i5 2500k, a Gigabyte 768 mobo, a Seasonic 750x PSU (more than enough, so I doubt that's the issue), a Gigabyte 6850, and 8GB of GSKILL RAM. I have an aftermarket heatsink as well- though I switched it with the stock heatsink to make sure it wasn't the culprit (shorts, or something), and nothing changed, so I doubt that's relevant.

If you need any other info, please let me know. Thank you very much for your help.

2. crabsmack

crabsmack Thread Starter

I'm really at my last step before sending the mobo/processor in for RMA. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could possibly be causing my problem?

And even if it were to come to RMA- how would I identify whether it was the mobo or processor that was the problem? Would I just send in both?

(all of my parts are from newegg)

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Are you now using the stock Intel cooler? If so, is the board is out of the chassis turn it over and make sure all the push pin fasteners on the cooler penetrate the board to an equal depth. Also, do you have the auxiliary processor power lead plugged in?

Post a link to the board you purchased.

4. crabsmack

crabsmack Thread Starter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512

Both power leads are plugged in, and the cooler is in fully. I have tried it with the aftermarket as well. Even if that were the case, would it overheat and shut down within a second? Because truly, the longest it has stayed on is about two seconds.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

It sounds like the processor is overheating and thermaltrip is kicking the processor out. Yes, it only takes a couple of seconds for the processor to overheat if the cooler is not installed properly. This is the single biggest problem encountered when people are making their 1st build with LGA processors.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

7. crabsmack

crabsmack Thread Starter

The heatsink appears to be fully attached to the processor. I'll keep tinkering with it, but it's not floating above the CPU or anything.

And yes, I've gone through that thread. First thing I did before starting this thread. Unfortunately, it basically just says "if it fails to POST outside the case, you have a faulty part". I also have no other parts to switch out, so I can't really isolate the problem beyond what I already have.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

The cooler doesn't have to be "floating" above the processor heatspread. On LGA processors the pads on the processor must contact the contacts in the socket with at least 17 (f/lb) or the machine will not boot.

You need to pull the board out with the cooler attached at look at the push pins to make sure they penetrate the board to the same depth. If they do not, the cooler is not installed correctly and you will have an airgap between the cooler heatsink and the processor heatspreader which will make the processor overheat immediately.

9. crabsmack

crabsmack Thread Starter

Alright, thanks very much for your help. The stock cooler's plastic attachments have been quite a nuisance, and now seem to be stuck (turning the top does not release them). I'll probably just remove that entirely, and go back to the aftermarket (much better attachments) and take it from there. I'd really love for this just to be an overheating problem, and not a defective motherboard.

I'll post again when I have some results.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

Removing the cooler is a two step process. #1-Turn the push pins 90° counterclockwise. #2-Lift up on the top of the pins. If you fail to lift up on the pins they will not be fully unlocked and you will damage them as you remove the cooler.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice