iTunes freezes when locating files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dreyfus2006

Hello. A few weeks ago I constructed a new PC, running Windows 10. It has two storage drives: an SSD (drive C) for programs and system files (and temporary files *grumble*), and an HDD (drive B) for personal files, media, etc. I was able to get most of my old files from my previous desktop onto my new PC without any trouble, but I have an issue accessing my music files from iTunes.

Any file that I have purchased from the iTunes store or that I have ripped from a disc after getting iTunes several years ago seems to work just fine. However, of the remaining files, some of them cannot be found by iTunes on my new PC (I get the "missing file location" prompt). I wish I could be more specific about which files get that prompt and which do not, but after tinkering around with different songs from different sources I cannot seem to find any sort of pattern. They are all songs that were originally added to my iTunes library on my previous desktop by using the "Add File to Library" function, back when all songs were on an HDD (drive C). Mostly mp3s, with a few ALAC files here and there that were originally FLAC files that I had to convert to work on iTunes. Some of these songs, such as mp3s of songs I composed myself, playback just fine without iTunes struggling to find them at all, while others cannot be found by iTunes and bring up the "missing file location" prompt. While I can tell iTunes where the missing file is with minimal inconvenience, if I click "Yes" on the subsequent prompt to use the new file location to find the remaining missing files in the album, iTunes freezes and has to be exited out of. If I go back into iTunes, the single missing file that I located will play back (yay!), but the remaining files in the album still give me the "missing location" prompt.

I'm almost certain this has to do with these songs being on drive B now rather than my old desktop's drive C, but I don't understand why some files can be found while others cannot, and a few searches on the internet have not provided me with answers as to why iTunes freezes and how to prevent that. Currently, the only way I have figured out to locate my missing files is to locate each file individually. This is very unideal, as some of these albums are huge. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I should mention that before removing my music from my old desktop, I consolidated my iTunes library as several sites recommend. Checking iTunes' advanced preferences, I see that iTunes's media folder location is B:\<user name>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media. The songs that come up as missing are all located in various other folders within B:\<user name>\Music\. On my previous desktop, iTunes had been using the location C:\<old user name>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media, and the songs in question were located in folders within C:\<old user name>\Music\.

I will continue to tinker around and look for a solution, but I thought I would ask for help in the meantime. I am getting married in early October and my fiancee and I have been hard at work making wedding playlists over the summer for the wedding. I haven't synced my iPod Classic on the new PC yet, so I'm worried that I might mess up my iPod if I try syncing it before my iTunes library gets sorted out. I'm therefore trying to figure out how to fix things sooner than later.

Here are my technical specifications:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 16333 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: B: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 671322 MB; C: Total - 976194 MB, Free - 831378 MB;
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z170XP-SLI-CF
Antivirus: COMODO Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Dreyfus2006

After typing all of that out, the thought crossed me that maybe iTunes was only struggling with finding mp3 files or with finding ALAC files. However, I can definitely update that I have mp3 files that were automatically found just fine, ALAC files that were automatically found just fine, as well as mp3 files of which iTunes is missing the location and ALAC files of which iTunes is missing the location. Not sure what the pattern is.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online