1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Itunes library problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by S1dd, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S1dd

S1dd Thread Starter

I recently started using Itunes and have downloaded 500+ cds from my collection onto itunes. These were all saved on an external usb hard drive. I now have a new computer as the old one was too slow and downloaded itunes again from the Apple site with the icon on my desktop. I have changed edit - preferences to my f: drive, but my music and all the artwork are nowhere to be seen. If I go to explore and checkout the drive everything is there, but the new downloded Itunes displays nothing. I have logged into itunes using the same user and password, how do I get all my albums and artwork to be reconised by my new computer?

2. domasmak

domasmak

S1dd,

You would first need to add the music - you have changed the music location but you have not added them back into your library. There are a few ways this can be done:

1.) If you have access to your old machine - where your music is stored there will be a file named iTunes Music Library.xml and another file called iTunes Library (if you are unsure of where these files might be I would suggest searching your machine, however, they will be within the iTunes folder which can usually be located under My Music). Copy both of these over to the new machine (again, where the files are located on the new machine) ensuring iTunes is shut before overwriting the existing files and upon opening iTunes the music should be there.

2.) Open the file menu and click Add to Library, point it to where your music is (you stated F drive) and it should then add the files back into your iTunes library.

Once you have completed either step your will need to "Authorize this Computer" which can be located under the store menu. This will allow you to play songs previously purchased in iTunes and also purchase new songs.

Hope this helps!

Domasmak

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice