1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

itunes messages

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by pierreneworleans, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pierreneworleans

pierreneworleans Thread Starter

I've just started getting a message box when I try to play a song in my music library on itunes. It says "The song (whatever the songs name is...it's doing it to all of my songs in the library) could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?". If I say yes it takes me through a sequence of files to chose from to open. And when I get to the itunes music folder it show some of the songs I have on itunes but not nearly all of them. What could be causing this message to appear and how can I eliminate the problem? I've never used any other music file manager. I'm using the latest version of itunes and have been for some time without problems.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Well, the message itself means that the song you had listed is no longer in it's original location. Did you move any music files recently?

3. pierreneworleans

pierreneworleans Thread Starter

I haven't moved any songs, ever. The message just appeared one day. I've tried rebooting several times but get the same message. I've gone through the process of reloading the latest version of itunes and made sure it was the default player. I've got about 4500 songs and it seems to be telling me I would have to locate every one of them to be able to play them on itunes. Don't think that's going to happen. Any thoughts on how to identify where my song files are and how to get itunes to read or locate them en masse? Thanks for your reply Curiant.

4. stantley

stantley

I would try rebuilding your database. Delete all of the songs out of the iTunes library, making sure not to delete the song files themselves. Once the library is empty, take the folder(s) with your music files and drag-and-drop them into the library.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Agreed, if the songs are in one place, remove them from the library (not delete as the new iTunes gives you that option) and get iTunes to search for them again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice