1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iTunes question

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by janlafata, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

I've been usng MediaMonkey as my MP3 player but it breaks a lot so I'm shopping for a new program. I know nothing at all about iTunes. First of all..Is it good downloading album art, and when it does, does it embed it into the MP3file?

Can you play any of your MP3's, wherever you got them on iTunes. I mean it won't give you a hassle about digital rights and usage or copy writing will it?

Finally...Does it try to get you to sign up for paid services and stuff?

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    1. Yes, it does download a album art with music you buy which is part of the .m4a file.
    2. Yes, although if the music has DRM you can play them on upto 5 devices. Fortunately, Apple is getting rid of DRM for most of its songs.
    3. You are not forced to sign up to iTunes Store but you do need an Apple or AOL account and credit card to purchase songs off the store. If you already have songs, you can add them to your iTunes library w/o the need of an account.

3. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

But will it download and embed album art from your own personal and existing MP3 collection?

4. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    You can try it, but even if it doesn't add it automatically you can add any art you require in the Information box and apply to to songs. I have done so for my own iTunes Library. It will accept JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF and Photoshop artwork.

5. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

When you do that manually does it get embedded in the MP3 file? The reason I ask is that I've noticed with some programs that have the add album art manually option, it does not embed itself in the file, it just puts it hidden in the same directory as the music.

So overall then you like iTunes and think it's one of the better audio programs?

6. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Yes when you add covers manually they get embedded in the mp3 file and if it is already there then it should be able to recognize it just fine.

Personally I like iTunes but have to agree with its detractors, it has become bloated in recent versions. The most recent version will (without your permission) install as services Bonjour (a multicast DNS responder), Apple Mobile device Support (only needed if you use the iPhone or iPod Touch), apple Application Support (I'm actually not sure what this does) and lets not forget you also need Quicktime installed for it to work.

7. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

There's no way to install without all that other stuff? I'm surprised that no one has come out with a lite, homemade version of it that's free of all that stuff!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice