1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

itunes question

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by fevola25, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fevola25

fevola25 Thread Starter

Hi, I have just purchaced an ipod touch for my son so Im new to itunes, and I dont think I like it.

I installed itunes and it searched and transfered all my songs to itunes, but instead of keeping them all neat and tidy in the folders I had them in, it has put them all together in one list, is there a way I can have them all organised in itunes the same way I have them in 'my music'?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If by "one list" you mean the iTunes Library, that's how iTunes works. You can sort songs by artist or album, but there are no "folders" in the iTunes Library.

3. fevola25

fevola25 Thread Starter

Aside from my album folders, I had a lot of other folders with various mixed songs in them, Like one folder with top 50 music, one with Australian music, a 70's folder, 80's folder, 90's folder and so on, but itunes seems to organise them into individual folders, most which has 1 song in them.

I wanted to transfer all the songs in the top 50 folder onto his ipod for him, but have to sift through 25 thousand songs every time to find 1 song.

4. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

It sounds like the easiest way to get what you want in iTunes is to set up playlists and treat them like you would treat your folders in myMusic. Populate them by dragging and dropping (remember you are only moving pointers around in the iTunes library not the actual files), going to be a nuisance to set up but once they are maintaining them should be easy.

5. parasolution

parasolution

One of the biggest problems when people transfer to iTunes is music organization. iTunes does a very good job in keeping music organized, but the problem is people's old libraries are never organized or tagged properly. So its a bit of an adjustment and it takes time to get the library organized. But once its organized, you'll find life easier with iTunes or any other program that you may transfer to in the future.

Once you have your music tagged properly with release dates, ratings, track #'s, genre, album covers, etc.; you will find that iTunes makes it so much easier to sort music. Yes, playlist are the way to go. For example, you can create a playlist with your favorite 70's songs by creating a smart playlist. Smart playlist will look for songs tagged in the 70's and have been rated.

I've been a long time user of iTunes and find it very intuitive and easy to use. Previously, I was a long time user of Winamp. The transfer from winamp to iTunes sucked, because my library wasn't tagged properly. iTunes kind of forces you to tag you music correctly.

6. fevola25

fevola25 Thread Starter

I have just spent three days tagging files, renaming them and making play lists, big job but Im starting to like itunes now, might be time to uninstall winamp because ill stick with itunes.. Thanks for your help and suggestions guys.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice