1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I've been attacked!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by nosfera2, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nosfera2

nosfera2 Thread Starter

Hello!!

This is my first post.

The problem began shortly after I noticed I had a new search toolbar just above my task bar. I was able to uninstall, but then also noticed a couple of new desktop shortcuts (i.e. "Lycos") and some new folders under C:\Program Files and C:\Windows, including "Clipgenie".

I checked to see if there was a way to uninstall other new arrivals and when I saw there was not, decided to attempt to delete the entire Clipgenie folder. It moved to my Norton Protected Recycle Bin, but would not empty. An error message told me that the folder did not exist and another message told me that it was running and therfore could not be deleted.

I checked task manager, but nothing additional was running.

I went into the Clipgenie folder and noticed that the files within the folder were showing as being anywhere from 2 GB to 20GB - even though my C drive is only 6GB!. I was only able to delete a couple of the files in the folder and got the message to the effect "file is too big - delete permanently?" to which I responded yes.

I then noticed that my hard drive was working overtime and when I continually refreshed, I saw that the contents of my C drive were deleting entirely.

I cold booted in the middle of the process and when I rebooted, the big errors began: Norton was no longer running, blue error screens etc. etc. Much of my C drive contents are gone - D drive seems unaffected. I reinstalled Norton and used my emergency startup disk, used all of the usual anti - spy and adware programs but I continue to get loads of errors. All of my System Restore points are gone. I seem to be able to boot in Safe Mode.

I have a great deal of files and information on my D drive that I haven't had the opportunity to back up yet that I would like to save. Can I back them up safely? Do I have to wipe out my system and start from scratch?

HELP!!!

I am running a Pentium 3, Windows ME, Internet Explorer, Norton Systemworks.

Thanks!!

nosfera2

2. $teve

$teve

Welcome to TSG:)

Do this:
    go to http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/ , and download 'Hijack This!'.....
    Unzip it to its own folder, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy & paste its contents to the forum.

It will possibly show other issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
    Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

If you have anything disabled by MSConfig or any other startup manager, please re-enable it before scanning to post.

;)

3. nosfera2

nosfera2 Thread Starter

Thanks Steve! I'll try it tonight. Will there be a log file/report generated that I can send to you somehow?

nosfera2

4. Flrman1

Flrman1

Paste the log that Hijack This generates here in this thread per $teve's instructions

5. nosfera2

nosfera2 Thread Starter

hello,

i am now only able to boot in safe mode so my cd rom is unavailable for me to reinstall internet explorer and outlook express (which were deleted along with a pile of other stuff from my hard drive).

i can't access the internet to download hijack this. i am currently on my pc at work but cannot download....

looks like i'm destined to format my hard drive...no?

:-(

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice