Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I've got a PC technical problem. Please help?

1K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  arknorth 
#1 ·
I've got a PC technical problem. Please help?

I very recently encountered a problem with my PC. after about a few minutes when I'm in windows, i get these thin horizontal lines across my screen. but it doesn't end there, shortly after, i get these big thick yellow vertical lines all over my screen!

I can still navigate my cursor but there's absolutely no point cause I can barely see anything!

so here is the thing - its definitely not a monitor problem cause I've connected another monitor and the same problem still occurs. Ive been told to restore my computer back to factory settings but I dont think that will solve the problem, so its either that OR it could be a hardware problem possibly? graphics card maybe?

can anyone help me out here?

P.s. my computer is a new HP PAV... and ive head it for around 3 years now. my warranty is long gone.

#2 ·
Is it a video CARD or are you using the integrated one that came with the computer? If its a card, try activating the internal (complete with swapping jacks as the internal will be on that other monitor jack), and see if the problem persists.

If its already on the internal video, the on-board chip/processor could be going bad - the remedy is pretty much ADD a video card - which isn't such a bad idea anyway, as it frees up your RAM, and would improve your computer's performance.

First things first though - figure out what your video source is - second, in either case, take the computer outside and blow the dust out of it - sometimes, that can cause issues with junk causing cross overs and bad images, not to mention simple overheating. (And you want to do it outside if possible, since why would you want all that clutter to just get right back into the machine again?)

Let us know what you've got!

A-N

#3 ·
As arknorth has eluded to, this definately sounds like a hardware problem / fault with your graphics card. If possible do the steps he has suggested, that will pretty much confirm or deny the problem.

It could also be an issue caused by heat, a possibility as you say it occurs after a few minutes of logging in. How long have you had the machine and have you ever cleaned the dust out of it inside?

#4 ·
As arknorth has eluded to, this definately sounds like a hardware problem / fault with your graphics card. If possible do the steps he has suggested, that will pretty much confirm or deny the problem.

It could also be an issue caused by heat, a possibility as you say it occurs after a few minutes of logging in. How long have you had the machine and have you ever cleaned the dust out of it inside?
I would start here as well, could be a heat issue, a dying PSU, or a failing GPU or even a bad/ loose VGA or DVI cable.

#5 ·
hello arknorth, im using the graphics card that came with my computer.

im not sure what you mean by " try activating the internal (complete with swapping jacks as the internal will be on that other monitor jack)"

could you please explain? thanks

#6 ·
What I mean is does the computer's video jack come from the motherboard, or is there a video CARD (litterally plugged into the motherboard). Integrated video (which most HPs come with) mean that 1- the video jack is usually up in the cluster of other jacks on the back of your machine. A video CARD is usually down below in the lower section of the back of your machine, and means that it has separate video jack - it also means that your computer would have greater video capacity. "Try activating your internal (video)" refers to turning on the motherboard's integrated video, and only means if you're not using it already.

A-N

#13 ·
Okay - you've got more than you think - and you're STILL under warranty, but only just, since this particular computer came with a 3 year hardware coverage (It's the labor costs that have gone away). http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3574874

What you have is a Vista-based Media Center, with all sorts of video options. On the back of the machine, is there a plastic cap covering a jack? HP sometimes does this to prevent someone from plugging their monitor into the incorrect video jack. If there is, this is your actual internal video jack. BUT - be warned - it is currently disabled, and using THIS jack will cause your computer to run slower, since using the internal video means using the computer's RAM Memory to operate it, taking it away from running programs, which is why there is a video CARD here as well. A secondary video card has its own memory, and frees up the computer's own memory to do its thing.

IF you were to use the internal, BEFORE connecting the monitor to it, you would have to activate it. That would be done in the device or hardware manager of Vista. But before we go there...

Since this is a Media Center, according to HP this computer should have installed in it a nVidia GeForce 8400GS video card with HDMI, DVI and all sorts of video OUT possibilities. Are you using any of these? Specifically, what type of monitor are you using - a regular computer monitor that plugs in with a large blue screw-in VGA jack, a Hi-Def monitor that plugs in with a black and white screw-in DVI jack, or an HD Monitor/TV using an HDMI plug that kind of looks like a really thin USB jack?

A-N

#14 ·
hey north

yes there is a black plastic cap covering another monitor jack located at around the bottom.

i am not using an HDMI or DVI video outs

and i am using a HDMI monitor with a normal blue colour screw in.

so what should i be looking to do north?

thanks for your help

#15 ·
Well, you have many options, depending on what you wish to do - as I noted above, your system is still under parts warranty (HP released to to your market on September 1, 2007 - assuming that you purchased it after that date, you technically are still covered for replacement of a bad video card).

For the time being, you can still operate the screen through the internal video chip. As noted, you would have to activate it first. Go into your Device Manager -

1.Click on the Start button and then Control Panel.

2.Click on the System and Maintenance link.

3.In the System and Maintenance window, click on the Administrative Tools link near the bottom of the window.

4.In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.

5.When the Computer Management utility opens, click on Device Manager on the left side of the window, located toward the bottom of the list under the System Tools heading.

Look under the Display Adaptors tab and click on the disabled video - enable it, then close all windows. At this point you should be able to shut your computer down, switch jacks on the back of the computer, and start up again. If the HP logo shows up, but nothing else (this particular reboot may take a few minutes to allow the machine to catch up to what you just did to it), you may have to reboot again and enter your BIOS screen (F1 or F2 at the HP Screen) and tell it you are using the internal video adaptor.

Hopefully this will get you up and running.

BTW - If you have an HD screen, and you're plugged into it using the VGA jack (that blue beastie), you're not in HD. You might want to invest in an HDMI or DVI cable to get that quality of image. Mind you, it could also cure what ails this video card as well, as that side of the card might not be affected by whatever is going on on the VGA side.

A-N

#16 ·
ill def look into it. is there a picture you could post of this HDMI cable so i know exactly what im gonna buy. so if i buy this cable. im not gonna need the blue beastie is it??

meanwhile north, under the display adapters tab all i see in the name of my graphics card. thats it? i dont see any disabled video thingy?? if you mean disable the graphics card, ive done that already.

#17 ·
Umm - they may have permanently disabled the internal (so that you wouldn't waste RAM I'm assuming). You might have to live with that card setup as is, though I would still check the BIOS to see if it shows up there as disabled. If it does show up, try enabling it.

As for the cable(s), it depends on what your monitor has on it as jacks - and yes, you are correct - you would NOT need the blue VGA cable if you were to switch.

Here are the types you should be looking for -

For a DVI (male) to HDMI (male) setup - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3327607&Sku=ULT40126

For HDMI to HDMI (male to male) setup - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1435554&Sku=C184-40316

For DVI to DVI (male to male) setup - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2659002&CatId=4465

A-N

#18 ·
well i just checked out the BIOS settings and i didnt see anything to do with enabling onboard graphics

well im gonna buy the cable and see if the problem still persists. otherwise i may just buy a new video card. ill get back to you when i do all this

thanks for all your help north.

#20 ·
hey north i did buy a HDMI cable in the end and got rid of the blue screw in and that didnt solve the problem

looks like im going to have to invest in a new g card. so other than needing a PCIe card, do i need to take any other factors in consideration? such as the actual size or power of the card?

#21 ·
It depends on how important your video feed needs are - being a Media Center, this computer was designed to run a great deal of streaming video. What you had before was only a 256MB card (If you've removed the side panel of the computer yet, I'd double check on that card - I just noticed on the HP Spec site that they don't actually note what type of card it is. The one listed in the PCIe slot is a TV Tuner card, which will be my next question - hang on!), so if you wanted to possibly upgrade to a 512MB, you probably could. The power on this particular machine should be able to handle it, as HP Media Centers are designed to have all sorts of devices plugged into them from time to time that would draw on the PSU.

But remember, as pointed out, that card should still be under warranty, and should be replaced by HP if it failed on its own, which is where that question I said I was going to ask comes from... seeing that this computer has a TV card in it, is it connected to any cable feed or video feed that comes from an outside source? If not, then I would say that the video card simply failed and is covered. BUT... Cable feed from an outside source can cause surges that can damage associated parts - IE: The first thing a TV card feeds (after the motherboard) is the video card. Any surge through the system can cause failure this way, which your described lines on the screen are an indication of. This could void the warranty.

As for just replacing the card - I've always liked the nVidias and the ATIs - yours had an nVida GeForce 8400GS in it, which is still available - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5677104&CatId=1560 . But, for just a bit more, it is easy to upgrade it to 512MB - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5677105&CatId=1826 .

Your call on what you'd like to do - the quick way is to buy the card, since I'm sure HP would take their time getting one to you, or make you send the machine in for service.

A-N

#22 ·
hey

so ive decided im just going to replace the card. a decent one seems inexpensive anyway

i wanted to ask you another question north. since im at it, im thinking of pumping up on the ram too. i know i have ddr2. my question is is it ok to mix the brands of ram chips as long as its ddr2?

#23 ·
Good question - Whenever I've maxed out my computers on RAM, I tend to put in matching chips - I've had three occations where I put in mis-matched (by manufacturer) chips. The first works fine with it's PNY + stock chips, the second squawked and burped badly as the two chips just seemed not to want to cooperate, and the third initially was an issue, but with some tweeking, turned out to actually be a card slot problem.

Generally, if you want a performance machine like yours to work at it's maximum, you should put in matching-same maufacturer chips. That would be my reccomendation.

A-N

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.