1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I've got a surprise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JesseHeichert, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JesseHeichert

JesseHeichert Thread Starter

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

wow . . 200" monitor is big!

3. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

160GB is good enough. If he ever needs more, there are plenty of open SATA slots on his motherboard.

4. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

The link to the CPU is the same link as the RAM, so we don't know what processor you're talking about.
    Where do you fit a 200" monitor? That's about 16.5 feet corner to corner.
    (I know it was a typo, still funny though).
    Seriously, I would spend a few more bucks on a better keyboard, like the Comfort-Curve.
    And why not spend $20 for a DVD burner instead of a ROM?

5. Compiler

Compiler

Also... I'd rather get the newer AMD 770/790 chipsets motherboard for quad core AMD upgradability.
    ASUS and MSI have one for $100 - Save $40

Then $12 more for a DVD-Buner.
    $50, rather than $80 for a Coolermaster case. no extra fan needed.

For the $65 savings, trade-in the 8600GT (not worth more than $99) - Put that towards the ATI 3850 and it'll be 3x more gaming power. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=HD3850&x=0&y=0

And you'll have $1~5 left over.

6. JesseHeichert

the ATI card, is roughly 160-180-200

Plus, im an nvidia fanboy =].

that would make the price about 870-880 take or leave shipping and handling.

ah cmon who needs quad core to play games?

Noone really. Its just a fancy thing to get if you wanna waste money on quad processing which isn't needed to play any games out nowadays.

Think of an xbox 360, Video card is more than likely not an 8800GTS/X, and people aww over the graphics day to day.

Computer enthusiasts get to picky.

Till you get technical with framerates in games or any of that stuff, an 8600gtx, can perform quite well for 70 bucks after a rebate.

7. JesseHeichert

Haha, i knew people would get a laugh at the type so i wont even fix it.

Hmm, its an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Brisbane 5200+.

8. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Well, the GPU, CPUs, and the games are architecturally designed specifically for gaming, so the card in the XB360 manages to perform equivalent cards on the commercial market. It is also why it can display twice the polys of the PS3- the PS3 does have better hardware, but it wasn't architecturally designed for gaming. It is basically just a normal PC.

9. Compiler

Compiler

The PS3 was designed for gaming. It is a console and more. it is upgradable far easier than the Xbox.

Xbox360 = ATI x1900 class video chip
    PS3 = GeForce 7800 class video chip which is easily weaker than the ATI... but not half... maybe 10~20% less performance. But it has a more powerful CPU.

Consoles ARE computers. Even the 68000CPU(8mhz) is still in use today - but in Washing machines and other "simple" things of today. That CPU was originally in Workstations in 1980 that were $10,000 and up. Then in the $4000 Macintosh... Yep, we ran GUI and games on 8mhz cpus... but its still a computer.

10. Compiler

Compiler

I'm not... I have owned more Nvidia cards than ATI - but I will choose the best for whatever price point I'm looking for. I loved my ATI9800Pro. But I've had: TNT2Pro, GF2mx, GF3-Ti200, GF4200 (then ATI) and now my 7600GT. I have NO idea what my next video card will be.

??? Not sure what you mean by the price. But what I put together roughtly was WITH the $170 ATI 3850.

Quad core will be more important for gaming in the next year or so... some games are starting to make use of it... but as shown on the Tomshardware chart - an AMDx2 3.0Ghz CPU ($140) is about 10~15fps slower than a Quadcore Intel Extreme ($1000).

And 8600gtx for $70, is not a bad deal. It's still NOT half the card of a 3850 or 8800GT. In stores, the 8600gtx still goes for $150+ what a sick joke... it used to cost $250 at one point, what a rip.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/677720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice