1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I've got the dreaded iexplorer.exe.... after previous problems

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Princess Peachie, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess Peachie

Princess Peachie Thread Starter

Hello O_O;
    Excuse me if I'm a little out of sync- I'm very new here.
    I really need your help, as my computer is vital to me and holds all of my artwork. (It's been backed up, but hasn't been for a 2 or 3 months).
    This will be a long post as I see the forum encourages as much detail as possible in posts.

Computer: Dell PC, Windows XP
    Anti Virus Software: Norton Anti Virus (came with comp), Ad-Aware (free version)
    Experience: I have been using computers since I was very small but I am in no way a programmer or customiser with programs.

Lately my friend's computer had been going weird, especially when they went on MSN messenger. It would keep making him 'appear offline' on my comp when he had set it to 'online', while other friends were seeing him as online. He would get kicked out of MSN a lot and have to log back in.

Around the same time this happened I got the dexter.exe (InfoStealer) virus, which I managed to delete. Nasty little bully! Norton Anti Virus couldn't repair, quarantine or delete that but I found the file source and deleted it. I scanned again and no viruses were found.

But the next day, when my computer started up, Norton popped up with a window as soon as I had signed into XP saying something had been blocked (can't remember what, but it had the word Trojan in it). But my computer ran fine and Norton virus scanner didn't come up with anything.
    (I think it must have removed the virus instantly when that alert showed up.)

The next day (today), no notice came up upon start up and I was on Internet Explorer all day fine, going on various websites etc lalala.
    HOWEVER, ever since I have been on MSN since this evening (to the same friend who had computer troubles) Internet Explorer has had a problem, which occurs everytime I try to use it now: IE will start up but then Norton would immediately block "iexplorer.exe" saying it was dangerous and close Internet Explorer before even the Home page loaded.
    I have temporarily blocked and deleted that MSN contact until I fix this problem.
    Basically, Internet Explorer was working fine today (as it has always done) until I had gone on MSN later this evening.

After some research I have discovered iexplorer.exe is a virus and can be very dangerous.

I found a link on Google to these forums with someone who had iexplorer (http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/379126-iexplorer-exe.html ) and I have installed HijackThis and Pocket Killbox ready to go. However as I followed these instructions I got stuck at this part:

"The file name will appear in the window and if the file exists it will appear in blue under that window then select standard file kill, press the red X button, say yes to the prompt and once the file deleted message comes up then repeat for each file in turn

[Note: Killbox makes backups of all deleted files in a folder called C:\!submit we might ask you to submit those files for further examination a bit later on ]

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ClientAX.inf
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\clientax.inf
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.inf
    C:\Documents and Settings\David & Sue\Application Data\Gram title\Five Deaf Log.exe
    "

HijackThis found none of these files. So I didn't know what to do!! o_O

Please help me if you can!

It would also be helpful if you could say your opinion on wether I gained this virus over MSN from my friend. He scanned his computer a lot (virus-free apparently) and put it on high security, as well as we both blocked each other, but he's still having strange problems. Basically if this is related to iexplorer.exe in any way please let me know!

Thank you for your time,
    Peachie
    xoxoxoxox

P.S. If I do not reply today it is because I have gone to bed, it is very late over here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice