1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I've logged out of windows and can't get back in

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vgww, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vgww

vgww Thread Starter

Actually its my friend that logged out. She has XP and is the only user. She has no "guest" log on. And she is apparently the "administrator". While she has never used a password, after accidentally logging out of Windows, she keeps getting the log in screen. She has tried the password blank, control-alt-delete 2x, changing the name to administrator and nothing has worked. Any further expertise that we can draw on from this group? All suggestions are appreciated.

2. Ingraved

Ingraved

I'm having trouble understanding your question.
    If your friend is having trouble removing the login screen at start ups. this may help;
    http://www.updatexp.com/tip14.html

If your friend is unable to login to her account, do the following;
    restart windows xp and hit f8 this will bring up the boot method selection screen (if f8 doesnt work power off the computer at the windows load screen and then power on) enter windows in safe mode. at the login screen there should be an "Administrator" login by default this account has no password. you can login here and go to users and guests to reset or remove the login password from the main account. If this administrator account is password protected you will need to reinstall windows.

3. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Is the login screen showing any log on to options eg domain? If so is it logging on to 'this computer' or a Domain. If you change the name to administrator will admin as the password work?

4. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Hey Ingraved, This may work if the user could actually log in to windows in the first place! LOL!

5. Ingraved

Ingraved

Yeah i didn't understand the question at first. I edited my orginal post

6. vgww

vgww Thread Starter

Will advise her when she gets out of work. Thank you so much for your quick reply. Will see if this works. Have a nice day :eek:)

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Im not sure we can help

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

8. Ingraved

Ingraved

well the admins can give us all a warning and close this forum as they see fit.

9. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Im sure someone will be along to advise

10. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Any problems here Missy? ;)

11. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    So far as I know, vgww has not actually asked for a password as yet or how to bypass it

I must appologise though for posting a reply advising 'admin' as a password.

12. vgww

vgww Thread Starter

Well, thanks for the suggestions, but, neither worked. Since she has a computer from Dell and her warranty has expired, (she has no disk), she can not reinstall Windows.

Any other suggestions are appreciated...

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If she didn't get a restore disk with the computer, she should be able to phone Dell and purchase one. I think they charge like $10.

14. vgww

vgww Thread Starter

Good to know...Thanks. Will pursue that avenue, too.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice