I've lost sound

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tipacanoe

Last night, I was prompted to do some Windows updates to Vista. I did them. Then I was prompted to do a few optional updates. I did two of them too, including something to update Realtek audio or something. (Not really sure if I have this.) Anyway, now I find that I have no sound from items like YouTube on line.

I have checked checked Control Panel under Sound and Realtek and don't see anything obviously amiss.

Anyone have any sugestions what's happened and how to correct?

BTW, my speakers are built in to the monitor. Also, I have verified that mute is not on - at least not from the keyboard controls.

Thanks.

Tipacanoe

Thanks for your reply.

I don't see it listed under programs. Is there somewhere else I should look for it?

Tipacanoe

BTW, I now see I have a RealTek Audio Manager icon in the bar that wasn't there before.

Tipacanoe

OK, I'll have a go but I never had any trouble listening to YouTube or anything else before.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Something may have happened to your old Adobe Flash Player.

Tipacanoe

But it isn't just YouTube. ITunes don't play either. And I can't seem to listen to a CD on MediaPlayer or anything.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
You can try reverting to the previous Realtek Audio driver (before the update).

Tipacanoe

On the advice of a guy at another forum, I did a system restore and - yea - got the sound back!

Now I find that:

1. Comodo isn't running. This may have to do with the fact that coincidentally with the Windows updates, there was a Comodo update.
2. Everything is running slow because Windows updates are d/l again.

I propose to d/l & install Comodo fresh.

What should I do about the Windows updates? I think maybe I should install but ignore the option to install the RealTek update. What do you think?

Thanks a million guy!

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Don't update Realtek­. Only update Windows and Comodo this time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online