I've never used "Wake On LAN" - How do I set it up?

ehbowen

I have become the unofficial computer guru at my (very!) small church. We have three PCs; two running Windows 10 and one with Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS. One Windows machine is in our office, one is in the sound booth to run OBS for encoding a live stream of our worship services, and the Linux machine is also in the sound booth for PowerPoint presentations. (It was previously a Windows machine, but I switched after Windows Update interrupted our worship services one too many times. It also helped that our copy of PowerPoint was unlicensed; the lady who installed it and who had at least a theoretical connection to a license retired and left the church. Now we use LibreOffice Presentations and our software suite in all computers is 100% legit.)

I'm using Comodo's Itarian Pro to remotely manage and protect the endpoints. Of course, I do want to perform regular updates and virus scans. The problem is that we have no one in the church during the week and our programmable thermostats are set to turn the A/C off (well, let it rise to 86 degrees...not much difference). We do have a data closet with its own separate rack cooling system; in it you'll find a Synology RackStation, a commercial-grade MikroTik router (and AT&T Fiber gateway), and a Raspberry Pi to run Unifi Controller to manage our Wi-Fi networks.

I'd like to have the desktops 'wake up' early in the day when the A/C is running, preferably early Sunday morning, and perform their updates and virus scans then. I do have hardwired Cat 5e to all three machines, and as I said the data closet units run 24/7. What's the best way to do what I'm looking for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online