1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved I've revived my old XP.... Now what to do?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Coco767, Aug 20, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

I just had an outlet replaced. Turns out the charging cord didn't like my old outlet I used. Now that my old Dell Latitude D520 is up and running again.... despite what's its been through.... Now what?

I realize the security risks of XP, by the way. I do have a backup of my files that are on the PC.

I am trying to find an older version of VirtualBox for XP as I want to run a lightweight Linux in it as i can't connect to my hotspot on XP on this particular laptop. Linux can. And maybe an older version of LibreOffice too.
    I know i want to run retro games on it. And I found an old copy of Crisis at goodwill that can run on it. And a few other Nancy Drew games.

But will filling it with programs make it unstable? Sluggish? And where do I find a good antivirus for it? Ive got a few things decided.... Im just not sure what else. If I choose to connect XP to the internet sometime outside of a linux VM.... where is a good browser thats secure for it? How do I keep my laptop safe from viruses? And which programs still support XP? I need some advice here. Sorry if its the wrong forum.

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

3. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    It's much easier to retain XP on your hard drive and run a Linux distro like Xenialpup from a Live DVD or USB flash drive. And a Live version of Linux doesn't take up space on the hard drive.

Not many current browsers for XP. Pale Moon is one.
    Not much current anti virus/malware available either.
    Running a browser in Sandboxie would help with security, but it's not a true security app.
    Usefulness on the Internet is a thing of the past for XP.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you want to run two operating systems on one computer which of the following options is best?

a. dual boot;
    b. Windows installed, Linux distro(s) using live boot;
    c. install one and use other one(s) in virtual machine.

The answer is the one that is best or least inconvenient for what you are trying to accomplish.

Only you can decide for you, but from my understanding of what you've told us using XP only for offline games and maybe word processing, and using a Linux distro with live boot (and maybe dual boot after confirming your choice of Linux distro) for internet access sounds good.

Johnny-be-Good likes this.
  5. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

I want to go for the VM because, well, I dont know how to do a dual boot setup. Thanks for the VirtualBox link by the way. I'll put linux in the VM and browse the web that way, much safer. K-Meleon does support XP still as a browser, but I've never heard of it much so I don't really trust it.

I think Avast may still support XP SP2 and above, so I'll check into that.

Also, any idea on video editing software for XP? I just want to put the old laptop to some use besides pinball. Any official links to the last version of Minecraft for XP also? Otherwise, unless anybody wants to say anything else different, this is pretty much solved.

6. 2twenty2

2twenty2

7. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

I just found out how to get the WiFi working on the old Xp and am typing this on it. And its been on charging cord almost every single time it has been used, so i just found out the battery still works quite well so i am on battery, trying to search for browsers. IN Chrome, not IE.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  9. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

Ill just use a linux VM to browse the internet
    Also K-Meleon still supports XP but im not too sure if its still secure as there hasn't been a update in a year..... not risking it.

10. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    Interesting but expected.
    There are simply too few XP powered computers on the Internet to make new ventures worth investing time and resources.

As far as Pale Moon and Puppy Linux, not that I use PM, I have updated it in the past. Now there is no easy way to update PM on a Puppy install. My current version is 27.6 and the updater no longer works.

As to FF, I'm still on 56.o because I do not like 57 and above.

11. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    Best combo would be Puppy Xenialpup 7.5 (32-bit) with Palemoon.

It's quite possible to update Palemoon by d/l'ing the tarball from the Palemoon website, then extracting it over the top of the existing 'palemoon' directory in /opt.

Do be aware that if you like to use YouTube, hardware acceleration is currently not implemented in v.28, so it's a sluggish, disappointing experience. One of our Puppy Forum members from Germany has discovered an extension that permits viewing a YouTube stream in VLC. It works for both PaleMoon and Firefox-Quantum., and is called 'Open with VLC media player'. I'm not really a Firefox user (much prefer Chrome), but I've tested this, and it does work.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/open-in-vlc/

You will need to d/l & install a minimal 'native client' (which is linked from the extension's page), but if a nincompoop like me can do it, anybody can.

Mike. ;)

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    FF End-of-life 56.0.x product line on November 14, 2017.
    Don't run an unpatched browser. It is too important an item.

Try other browsers until you find one that you like.

I run FF ESR which is based on v 52. On Sept. 5th it won't be supported. To that end, I'm running FF v. 61 portable to see if I can get used to it because FF ESR will be based on v 60. I've found the new addons for noscript and uBlockOrigin and a replacement for removing LSO cookies.
    I've also installed Vivaldi which is based on Chromium to see if that is usable for me.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice