1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Japanese support

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by tsunam, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tsunam

tsunam Thread Starter

I've started to get annoyed with the fact that all the kanji that i see thru mozilla or thru irc etc comes across as little tiny square boxes instead of the proper character encoding.

So How does one go about adding native support for another language. I've already tried to use the -kanji -canna options in my use= emerge builds and that hasn't seemed to help. I know its going to be a pain but -.-;;

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Thats odd. That was one of the first things i noticed about my mozilla (on debian unstable) was that all of a sudden japanese characters came out in full force. Perhaps a ocale problem?

3. tsunam

tsunam Thread Starter

apparently i compiled xfree without cjk support -.-;; I get to recompile x! *ughuuu* heads for a corner of the room

then emerge fonts...add the fonts to the xfree config file...and then i should be good after i restart the machine -.-. In theory

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

In theory. That sounds like a lot that can go wrong. I havent gotten around to recompiling aterm, though i will let you know later if it works.

5. tsunam

tsunam Thread Starter

i know i know but exactly the same problem was on the gentoo forums and thats how it was solved for them, exact same issue actually -.-;; /me crosses fingers that nothing gets borked

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice