1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

java chat rooms.. urggh..

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jbomx, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbomx

jbomx Thread Starter

Okay.. 1st off. I have NEVER had a problem getting anything Java related.. ever...so I am lost.

I recently did a boo boo I think.
    Here's my story.
    Could get in all java chat rooms. Decided to download the newest nvidia graphics drivers.
    Did that installed them... blah blah blah..

Was not in a chat room at the time, nor did I attempt to with those drivers. They froze my computer up twice. Before the 3rd time, a program froze. I did an ctrl-alt-del and saw that it was a java something or other that was not responding.. so...in my great wisdom, without writing it down or anything, I did an "end task".
    I also decided it was time to remove the latest drivers as I was not gonna live with a locking up computer, so I reverted back to the previous drivers.

Boot back up.. go to my message board. Go to chat, and the box comes up, but I can't log into it, and none of the applet starts just the window.

So I am freaked.. I look at Internet options, to make sure my java was still enabled. It was..
    Decided, what the heck, I will download the latest java vm from Sun.. did that..
    Tested the vm at a site , and it tested just fine.

Tried to get back in my chat..no luck.. went to 4 other sites, and tried their java chats.. nothing.. hit this sites chat.. it tells me I need an java enabled browser.. well .. DUH!

What to check next? I reinstalled microsoft java vm... did all that I know of... and still no luck..

I am using IE6 with all the goodies.. win98se..

I have got to get this fixed as I am the admin for a message board and I can't get in our own chat! urgggh.

I just did click on the browser "tools" internet options and clicked on the SUN java console, and nothing happened.. what next ??

PROBLEM FIXED! Deleted all instances of java vm... downloaded microsoft java vm from an independant site..
    thanx.. j-bo

2. Miz

Miz

I've seen this problem cleared up by emptying either (or both) the browser's cache and Temporary Internet Files. Try that...who knows, it might work for you, too. ;)

3. jbomx

jbomx Thread Starter

Thanx.. tried that..

Did a search and tried all that I have read to know avail.

Here is what comes up on this sites "chat".

Tech Support Guy Chat:
    Closing this window will end the chat. Please abide by the rules.
    You must have a Java-enabled browser to use the chat.

Please wait a few seconds for applet to load.
    Having problems?

Is it my last option to uninstall IE6 and reinstall? SHould I also uninstall all aspects of java vm? As in the SUN java also?

Thanx..

4. Corrosive

Corrosive

Actually, I don't think that you should install Sun Java. If my history is up to scratch, Sun and Microsoft fell out with each other donkey's ago, so IE uses it's own version of Java. Try searching the knowledgebase at www.microsoft.com

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice