1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Java Does Not Work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Inkpat, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

I am not able to view pages using Java. Current system is Windows XP (Home) with all recent fixes including SP1 on IE Explorer 6.

Went to the Java site and downloaded, as per their instructions, and let their wizard do the install.

Now, whenever I view a page with Java, the following message appears:
    "The Java Runtime environment can not be run from <C: PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~1.2 -0\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll>"

When I click "ok" , the browser hangs for five seconds, then presents a "must shut down" message. This happens consistently.

Your help would be appreciated.

Inkpat

2. match7274

match7274

wat's java software do u installed...?
    more details..plz

3. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

Java Version 1.4.2_04, build b05

4. rude

rude

First I would uninstall java from the controll panel,then delete it from your programs folder.After you have done the above,you should delete it from the registry,to do this:

Make sure you backup the registry before editing.
    Select Start > Run

type "regedit" ,without quotes, and press Enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

The Add/Remove Programs list is built from the keys listed beneath the Uninstall folder.

Locate the key for the program that has been uninstalled, right click the key and click Delete.

Be very careful. Once the key has been deleted it's impossible to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall if you make an incorrect selection

This should get rid of registry entries that could cause conflicts with a new install

Now download a new copy of java and install it.

Let me know if this works for you.

5. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

Thank you, Rude. I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

Inkpat

6. stu37

stu37

I had trouble with java and here's a suggestion. I went to control panel and disable java there or you can do it in explorer internet options too. Then i went to this site and downloaded microsoft's VM and what a difference, loads games and such so much faster. Here's the link:
    To download the Microsoft VM, please click the link below:

http://www.wildtangent.com/install/jvm/msjavx86_3805.exe

7. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

Stu, I went to the link you suggested, downloaded the Java from the wildtangent site, opened it up and nothing is happening. Is there something I need to do once it's on the computer?

Inkpat

8. cassandra

cassandra

Since Microsoft lost their lawsuit with Sun Java, they are no longer legally allowed to include Sun's java handler's in their products. While all versions of XP come with it, installing the Service Packs removes the 'Virtual Machine' and the browser can no longer run Java properly.
    You do NOT want to go installing an entire software platform/application simply to run Java on a web browser, all you really need is the browser plugin for Virtual Machine. When the lawsuit was ongoing, most of us knew Microsoft would lose, and what the end results would be, and we took precautions. The first, being to save the browser plugin installation so we could simply add it to future versions/service packs.
    If you installed an entire java platform, go and uninstall it. It is completely unnecessary unless you intend on writing programs yourself in java.
    The file you need, to install the java handler's plugins to your browser, and give you Virtual Machine, is available from my site's dowload files, I will include a link to it here.
    This is the original file offered by Microsoft, before being ordered to remove it from their site.
    Virtual Machine Install

9. stu37

stu37

when you downloaded it it should install at the same time

10. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

Cassandra's download worked perfectly. I now have Java enabled and it works exactly as it should. I was very careful in eliminating traces from any Java on the hard drive before dowloading. Thank you, forum participants, for your suggestions and assistance.

Inkpat

11. jraquel

jraquel

Inkpad,

How did you get it to download?
    I get an error messgae that it is not a valid win32 application and it cancelled.

12. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

I followed her explicit instructions to delete everything which said "Java" on the computer. Did a search to find all the named instances, then scoured the registry as well. The first time I downloaded, it didn't work...but after really cleaning up, it installed perfectly.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!