Java errors and runescape

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Deseroka

First off, I apologize because I realize this has probably been touched on, but I'm one of those people who needs things clarified for me and would like to just get some input on this before I proceed.
I have once again been rooked into helping someone with their computer. My husband does this to me, he assures everyone that I can fix it--I'm knowledgable enough to get rid of my own spyware and usually can sort thru my own HJT log, this makes me a genius in my circles :eek:
I have a friends son's computer. This kid plays Runescape and the computer keeps crashing on him. After telling them a jillion times that unless I see it happening I don't even know where to begin, it crashed while I was there and the kid printed out the error he received, which is an Exception_Acess_Violation with a java stack that follows it.
I questioned him about his Java version and he told me that he had recently updated java, but because he thought that the old one took up so much space and memory he would just delete it. Seems to me he needs the original in there also, an update is just an update, correct?
On checking his control panel I found that he is running J2SE Runtime Enviroment 5.0 update 4. He also has MS Antispyware installed and Norton, both of which I think may be causing problems. When I go into the advanced options under internet tools, there is only a Sun Java console, no virtual machine.
This is Windows XP on a Gateway 450 with only a 10GB HD (Don't ask me, I don't know why). I see no reference to the RAM when I check system properties, but suspect it is 64MB, I will have to look deeper to make sure and post back.
Right now I am running scandisc, figured start at the beginning--but I am thinking that disabling the MS Antispyware and Norton and cleaning up his start up list is a good beginning, then perhaps removing the J2SE that is there and dowloading the Java VM to disc and loading it up may fix this problem.
I would appreciate any input.....
This is the last time I get rooked into this, I swear!
Thanks in advance.

Try unistalling the sun java that he has and installing the full version, not the update..if his harddrive is that small, you might want to upgrade the hard drive, because if you are running on less then 5GB of free space your comp might act up alot. =P

Deseroka

Thanx bkatz, that was my thought, but wanted someone to confirm it for me.
I dunno why anyone installed XP on this tiny machine for them, but it's my opinion they should have told them the system was not large enough to carry it well--but what do I know?

Deseroka

All of the downloads there seem to be the 4 for 5.0 with the exception of the JDK, and I don't think I need to load this small system up with a developers kit. Am I mis-reading what I see here, or missing something? Could you please lend me an extra set of eyes?

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

I play Runescape a TON so I m,ay know what is his problem; first: has he tried using any of the other kinds of java besides Sun Java? You can switch the type of Java that Runescape uses by going to the bottom of the screen where you select High or Low detail mode (you will have to do this every time you play). If that does not help, Runescape provides some basic help on that page.

Deseroka

Thanks for the input and support--removing what java he had there and reinstalling a clean platform did the trick! I love it when it's simple.....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts