1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Java problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by charlie75, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charlie75

charlie75 Thread Starter

I have noticed that all java applications I run (like yahoo chess and others) are running really slow. I wanted to install a new JRE version but I can't uninstall the one that is there. When I try to uninstall from the control panel, it appears to uninstall correctly but it stays there. Could my computer be using that version, and that be the reason they are so slow? What should I do to install a newer version?
    Thank you.

2. opopanax

opopanax

yes, Java doesnt uninstall easy. Ive tried it and it dint work. So what to do is, go straight to the location, and delete the entire java folder. Then download this program: Regcleaner. Use it to wipe-off all unwanted registry entries on the system including that of java. Then install the new version.

3. charlie75

charlie75 Thread Starter

Ok I will try that, where can I find all the java registry entries I need to delete?

4. opopanax

opopanax

after u install the program, go to tools->registry cleanup. then click the last option in it. It will find all useless entries and show u a list. Then u can just highlight all and delete. It can do the deletion automatically too. goto options->registrycleanup->method->auomatic. get the program from here: ftp://ftp.freenet.de./pub/filepilot/windows/system/RegCleaner.exe

5. charlie75

charlie75 Thread Starter

Ok thank you!

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Charlie:

After you uninstall an older version of Java 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition from Add/Remove Programs, delete its Java folder from the C:\Program Files folder. Reboot afterwards, then install the newer version.

I'm currently using Java 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition, 1.5.0.01, and these are the steps that I use with my Windows 98SE and XP SP2 computers.

7. charlie75

charlie75 Thread Starter

Ok, thank you both.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice