1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Java suspected of causing problems in IE

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by babymeena, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, guys. I'm using IE v6 (I'm not sure because when I click on help->about IE, the line where it shows the version is blank. I suppose it's v6 because my laptop is 3 weeks old and this browser came installed.

I can't access any webpage that runs java (I guess this because when I try to navigate to a link nothing happens and I see 'runjava...blahblah' on the bottom left corner where it shows you what action it is taking). I can't log on to some sites and I can't read this e-book I have that utilizes IE. Even if I can log on I'm unable to utilize some tools such as private messaging.

I've installed manually Java (TM) 2 platform and manually running it to no avail. I have two websites I must be able to log on to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. dugq

dugq

Could try repairing IE,
    On XP, theres a couple of methods, simplest is to go to start and run and type iin "sfc /scannow" and then ok
    May need to XP disk to do this.

3. EvileYe

EvileYe

Check your security settings for IE. To do this, Open a browser window, click tools, Internet Options, Security and then click custom, scroll down the list and ensure Java scripting is enabled. Alternatively, instead of custom settings you can set it to the default level by clicking the default button. Java permissions should always be set to high safety.

Have a check of your security settings and post back.

4. TOGG

TOGG

Do you have any Symantec/Norton products installed, particularly Norton Systemworks?.

I ask because at least one version of NSW (2003), was associated with the loss of the IE version details, (although I would have thought it would be 'fixed' in later versions).

I would expect a repair/reinstall of IE to solve your problem anyway, assuming it is successful. Just in case, here's the link to the Symantec article that deals with this issue;http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256cbd006cc289?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

5. brassobob

brassobob

Help. Same exact problem. Cannot get my IE6 to load a java script page. Problem began after SP2 install. Have tried adjusting IE Options settings ad nauseum. Have tried running SFC / scannow. nothing works. what can i do

6. EvileYe

EvileYe

7. brassobob

brassobob

EvileYe,
    thx for the help; but no joy. have DL from both SunJava & MS to enable java but nothing works. have struggled to turn off features in the SP2 browser info bar, but no joy. am worried that i will eventually, or accidently, enable some nefarious feature I don't want. but too many sites now no longer display. i am wily-nil enabling everything i see in IE6 options, but no joy. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP...................

8. EvileYe

EvileYe

Have you tried removing SP2 via add/remove programs in the control panel ?

9. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hello, all. Thanks for the info. TOGG, I followed the instruction on Symantec's site to reinstall Windows scripts. Now my search dog is working perfectly and the IE version info is available. My Pharmacology CD is working once again and e-books are no problem! Thank you so much. I wish I could try the IE to see if I could log into the problem site however I'm in the process of setting up my network via wireless router. My desktop is connected but I can't figure out how to get internet access via router to my laptop. I don't wanna jeopardize messing up what I already have set up so I really can't unplug my cable modem to plug into the laptop. So I can't test the internet site. =( I've posted this question on network forum: http://forums.techguy.org/t277596.html . If anyone can help out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again to all that replied for the great info.

10. TOGG

TOGG

I've had a look at your networking thread but I'm afraid it's all Greek to me!

Can you supply the urls of the sites that you are trying to access, so that I can try them with my Opera and Firefox browsers?.

Alternatively, why don't you try Firefox and Opera and see if you can get to the sites with one of them?. They are both free (if you don't mind the advert with Opera) and they are small downloads (although it's a good idea to have the Sun Java that comes with Opera and increases it to 15MB+)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!