1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Java upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jusmee, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jusmee

Jusmee Thread Starter

Hi All, I keep getting a notice in the lower rt hand corner of my screen wanting me to up-grade Java. I don't want this annoyance continuing. How do i get rid of it?

Now the Java icon is in the row of icons in the row of stuff in that corner. How do i get rid of that, and other icons i don't want???

Any help will be appreciated... Roger

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Run MSCONFIG (Start > Run > type: msconfig). In the Startup tab uncheck the boxes for "jusched" and "jucheck".

3. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

Also you might go to add/remove programs.. remove your outdated version (there may actually be several listed) of JAVA and then go to JAVA.com and get the latest version. If you choose this option watch the download and remove the check where it also adds Google toolbar (unless you want it). Then do as Frank suggests by going to MSCONFIG and unchecking Java update.

4. Jusmee

Jusmee Thread Starter

...guys. I'll do it/them. But, really what is JAVA? I don't think i've ever used it??? Any value?? Thanks again. Roger

5. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Hava is a programming language and it is used quite extensively on the web and it is needed.

I would go to the following site and check to see if you have the most current version:

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

7. Jusmee

Jusmee Thread Starter

Thanks both. Following your reassurances, i checked Java out and up-graded it. Since i have it, might as well have the latest, eh? Roger, & out...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!