1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

java virtual machine installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by craigwatson, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. craigwatson

craigwatson Thread Starter

Java Virtual Machine is somehow suddenly missing on my windows 2000 SP2 system. When I get to a web site that needs to use java, I am prompted to download the java virtual machine. I d/l it and it attempts to install - I then get an error message stating that 'the virtual machine cannot be installed because it is a protected system component. This can only be installed through a hotfix or operating system service pack upgrade.' I have looked all over microsoft's site (especially the java download site) to view the most recent builds of the machine and find that I need to go to the most recent service pack. I download the entire serive pack 2 (110 megs), reinstall, and still nothing is fixed. I also d/l the java hotfix, attempt to install, and receive a message stating that the operating system level is newer than this hotfix and can only be installed with service pack 1.

I have a hard time believing that there is no way to put the java virtual machine back on my system until (if ever) service pack #3 comes out (this is supposed to be a security enhancement?) . I desperately need this back on my machine, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. casper03

casper03

not sure if this will work:

have you tried booting into safe mode
    then installing java virtuall machine......

hope it helps

3. craigwatson

craigwatson Thread Starter

cannot log on to windows 2000 in safe-mode (does not exist like win 95 or 98)

anyone else have a good idea?

4. brianF

brianF

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!