1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

java virtual machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by C'plus, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. C'plus

C'plus Thread Starter

hi, im having trouble viewing web pages and doing certain tasks on the net due to either not having java virtual machine, or not having it enabled. how do i go about enableing it or downloading it as for i cant get win update to find the needed file. Im running XP pro.

any help is appreciated.

2. monted

monted

get Java VM here:

http://java.sun.com/

the download link is on the right side under "popular downloads".

3. flawed_cat

flawed_cat

If you don't like the way SUN Java intregrates you can still download MSJVM...your choice.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft VM build 3805 for Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 95/98, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0. 5.4 MB

MS Java Virtual Machine download link:
    http://www.krm.com/ms/msjavx86.exe

4. Del

Del

5. C'plus

C'plus Thread Starter

thanks for the help, i appreciate it:)

6. Del

Del

No problem, glad I could help.
    Have a great one.

7. dmurfitt

dmurfitt

The sun JAVA applet is ok, but the microsoft one is the best. This comes with XP Service pack 1.

8. Emtronics

Emtronics

Just a bit of info. MS is removing VM from Sp1. They will issue a download called Sp1a. According to them, VM is dead and Sun's JRE will be included in SP1b. Like it or not, it looks like MS and Sun made a deal. Below is a quote from Lockergnome's Chris Pirillo.

"Java schmava. It looks as though Microsoft's VM (the software required to run Java applets) is officially dead. They're removing it from SP1, making it SP1a. Then, later this year, they're releasing SP1b with Sun's JRE. If you have SP1 already installed, stick with it - don't do a thing. If you'd rather be running the latest version of the Java VM, you'll wanna swing by Sun's site. Why is this happening? Who knows. I didn't see Macromedia whining when they released a new version of Flash that wasn't bundled with SP1. That particular plug-in is merely a player, much like the VM is for Java applets. But I suppose an argument could be made that Sun was unfairly treated. Whatever. In my life with the Web, I've come across less than ten sites that weren't working with Internet Explorer's bundled client. And dear GOD, somebody hire a professional UI designer over there! My suggestion? Yeah, go ahead and install Sun's software today. It's free, and everything stays out of the way until you need it. Now, if you've got better things to do with 32 megabytes of hard disk space, stick with your current solution. What does this mean to Joe and Judy Consumer? Headaches, pure and simple. They don't care, and why should they? It's bad enough we have to turn to pop-up blockers and anti-spam utilities to keep our sanity. Now we have to install yet another third-party plug-in to get a "better" Web experience. Thpbt! "

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!