1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Java won't install

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JenniferRiordan, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan Thread Starter

This morning I removed Java from my computer with Revo Uninstaller and rebooted. I checked to see if Java was gone from add/remove programs, and it was. I then attempted to update to Java 8 Update 31 by downloading the exe file to my desktop. I opened it and got this error message, 'A newer build of this version of Java already exists on your system. It is not possible to install an older build.'

I then went to Java.com and clicked on 'Do I have Java', and I get this message: 'We are unable to verify if Java is currently installed and enabled in your browser. If you have installed Java and there is an error with the verification, there could be a configuration issue (e.g. browser, Java control panel, security settings) or the Java plug-in is blocked by the browser.'

I then went to Java.com to use the uninstall tool for removal of older versions of Java and got this message: 'Java is disabled or not installed'.

I went into Firefox Add-ons and Plugins to see if I needed to 'enable' Java in some way but it wasn't listed. I also turned off my firewall antivirus and adware blocker prior to all the steps I have mentioned previously. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any guidance is appreciated
    (The browser I use is Firefox and up to date fyi.) Jennifer

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. JenniferRiordan

Hi Rob
    It won't let me use the uninstaller. I get the message, ''Java is disabled or not installed'. I used an app called Security Check, and it says that I have Java 8 update 31, which isn't compatible with Windows XP. I used a program called Javara to remove it, rebooted, and Security Check is still showing that I have Java 8 on my computer. Any ideas?? Jennifer

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Java 8 Update 31 will install in Windows XP, but only if you ignore the warning and click OK.

Java 7 Update 76 is the most current version for Windows XP.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. JenniferRiordan

How do I remove Java 8 from my computer? I checked to see if a Java plugin was enabled in my web browser, but Java isn't listed in the Firefox plugins or extensions list. If I go into AllPrograms, it's the last one on the bottom. I open it up, and there are five files each displaying an icon that looks like a blank computer screen with a light grey border around the entire rectangle, a white screen like a blank computer screen, and a blue heading from left to right acting as a top border. They are labelled 'About Java' 'Check for Updates' 'Configure Java' 'Get Help' and 'Visit Java.com'. If I hit any of the first three, I get a message that says: 'windows is searching for javacpl.exe to locate the file yourself click browse.'

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It's my guess that Java-related file and registry "debris" is scattered throughout your computer.

There's a way of finding and manually removing them, but you need to know what you're doing.

----------------------------------------------------------

7. JenniferRiordan

It's no longer in add/remove programs, but it show up when I run 'Security Check'

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may want to run System Restore to prior you uninstalling Java. If after the restore works you can leave it, 8 does supposedly work on Windows XP even though it's not officially supported. Or you can uninstall it using Add & Remove Programs without using Revo.

There's also this manual method: https://java.com/en/download/help/manual_regedit.xml

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    i was thinking about that too.

---------------------------------------------------------

10. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What do you need Java for anyway? You can most probably forget about it.

You can try installing and uninstalling it. That could fix it.

11. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

It's probably not on your computer anymore. There might be a few traces detected by Security Check, but that's all.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice