1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

java won't update: Vista

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Allicia_T, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

Computer system info is below my post.
    I have Java 6 Standard Edition, version 6 update 26 (build 1.6.0_26-b03).
    It last update on 6/12/11. I have it set to check for updates automatically but prompt me before downloading and installing updates.
    I went to update it, clicked on update, and nothing happens at all. It will not update.
    Since I know there is a update 29, seems to me it should be prompting me to download and install, yet it's not, nor will it let me update.

Side note: i have a 56k connection. Whenever I do an update, it' takes a few hours, (yes hours) for the updater to download before it gets around to the actual update. Is there any way to speed this up, assuming I can get java to update?

I've heard you can uninstall and reinstall and i used to do this on my old computer with no issues and it didn't take hours. With this computer, since I got it in Dec of 08, i have this long java installer download each time. Also, I've been told to uninstall all instance of java on my computer before attempting a download and install, but yet java site says to leave them? What is the right answer. My java is working fine, i can play my games, etc. but one game site just updated their game and now I am to update my java..ha ha.

Also, if I do need to uninstall and reinstall java, how do i then get it working in Mozilla firefox and in Google Chrome browsers so I can play game, etc.
    Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

system Info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 766 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1250, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 147761 MB, Free - 95433 MB; D: Total - 147487 MB, Free - 147391 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer , F690GVM , ,
    Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. zbd21

zbd21

3. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

Is this uninstaller downloadable with a 56k connection? If you've ever had 56k you know how difficult it is to get a successfull download of any but the smallest of files/programs.

Also is it possible to get a stand alone version of the java installer and java, that could be put on a external usb storage device and then be put on my computer? That would allow me to download at the library with high speed internet. This would avoid a full day of nothing but downloading java on the computer and watch for download interruptions, etc.

Thanks again :)

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You can download the Java installer to a USB flash drive in a library, if the library allows it (many library computers will not allow downloads or USB flash drives...). Simply save the program to your hard drive when getting home and install the program.

You can get Java easily from HERE.

5. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

Oh awesome. My library is fantastic, and will allow downloads to a USB flash drive. Thank you.
    Unfortunately I just found out that if I get java 7, then, while it might enable me to play at one game site, at the other site, there are bugs with 7 that will prevent some of the games from running properly. What a quandary. I will get it at the library, and then when I can use 7 on both, attempt to uninstall and reinstall java. Once that's done, if issues are resolved I will mark this 'solved'. :)

6. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

I do have two more questions relating to the Java:

1: do I or don't I remove all previous versions of i think it's call JSRE? Some say do this, yet on the java site it advises against removing the older ones. Which is the best to do.

2: Do I uninstall everything before or after I install the java installer?

Better to ask silly ?'s than render my computer unable to do any java related stuff.
    thanks again. :)

7. theking21

theking21

8. Phantom010

Yes, you should uninstall all old versions of Java. However, with recent versions of Java, you don't have to uninstall. Newer versions will simply overwrite them.

Instead of version 7, you should get version 6 update 29. Version 7 is not intended for the general public.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    As Phantom010 already said, there's no need to uninstall 6 Update 26 . The install of 6 Update 29 will overwrite and replace it.

If you have any other older versions older than 6 Update 26 installed, you should uninstall them. Many computers still have older versions of 6 and 5 still installed.

--------------------------------------------------------

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That computer appears to have only 768 MB of RAM installed. You need to increase it to at least 2048 MB(2 GB).

It's already hobbled by a snail's pace 56K dial-up connection. It doesn't need to be hobbled further by not having enough RAM.

------------------------------------------------------------

11. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

Yes it really needs more ram but the cost is a bit more than I can swing at this point in time, as I do not know how to do myself. I expect it's relatively easy to add but only if you know what you are doing and looking at lol.

Yes I do have java update 26 for my java, but back to my original issue..it will not update on it's own OR when I tell it to "update now"! It does nothing when I click on that. And it says it last updated in June of this year.

So you see my issue. It won't update for me. Grrrr.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The 6 Update 29 download is a little over 16 MB, so it would take a long time to download with a 56K dial-up connection.

I haven't used 56K dial-up in about 11 years, but I recall it took about 5 minutes just to download 1 MB of data.

It's my guess that several of your programs are outdated and that all the important/recommended Microsoft updates haven't been installed because it takes too long or the connection times out.

---------------------------------------------------------

13. Phantom010

It doesn't update by its own on my XP computer either. I have no idea why. It's been like that for many versions of Java so far. Simply get the downloads yourself.

It doesn't change anything for me but the jusched.exe process (Java Update Scheduler) should be running in order to receive automatic updates:

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type msconfig.

Click OK.

Select the Startup tab.

Is jusched checked? If not, check it and restart your computer.

14. DVOM

DVOM

The last 2 or 3 Java updates I've done seem to do nothing when you first click "update". The entire download is done in the background, however, if you hover the mouse over the java icon in the tray, it says "downloading" or similar. It hasn't given me any other indication that something is happening until it's ready to install.

15. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

Hi, Haven't had time to check on posting here.
    I've read everything again.
    I have a ?
    If I understand correctly, since I have 6 build 26, I do not need to delete and then re-install? Since it will not let me update even manually (I click it and nothing for even up to an hour, not even java icon in the tray), is there a way to get version 6 build 29 without deleting first? Can i just go to Java site and click on download for version 6 build 29?
    Thanks everyone.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice