1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Java

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Carcass Man, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Carcass Man

Carcass Man Thread Starter

I am pretty much computer illiterate. I have Windows XP Home version. I am having trouble with getting certain java script to read. I was trying to open a school assignment and when my mouse was over the link the bottom left hand corner said "java void......." with a bunch of text after it. Any ideas on how to enable my IE 6.0 to get java text? Thanks in advance

2. BillC

BillC

Try looking here....Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom > and scroll to "Microsoft VM" and see if you have java blocked.

3. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. Carcass Man

I want to thank all three of you for your help.

I got the Sun Java and my machine didn't have Microsoft VM, so I got that too. And I set my Internet Security options to low risk for Microsoft VM.

But unfortunately, when I still put my mouse over the link in the bottom it says: javascript:void(doWindowOpen(' and then the link to the assignment (and actually typing in the address doesn't bring me to the site either)...other students are able to access this assignment, so I don't think it's an error on the professors part.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Javascript and the language "Java" have nothing to do with one another, despite the similarity in names.

There are a number of things you could try. Be sure you don't have js blocked by a proxy or popup stopper if you are running any.
    Go to Start > Run and try re-registering some files by running these at the command line:

regsvr32 msscript.ocx
    regsvr32 dispex.dll
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll
    regsvr32 scrrun.dll

---------------------------------------------------
    Then check if Open for file-type .js is properly associated:

1.) Open Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types.

2.) Find .js extension and click on "Advanced".

3.) Click on Open and then the Edit button.

4.) Check and make sure the Application used to perform action field has this: C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %*
    (modifying, of course, if C: is not your system drive and Windows is not your installation directory).

5.) Click OK until you're out of there.

---------------------------------------------------
    Then, be sure wscript.exe is your default scripting engine:

1.) Go to Start > Run and type:
    cmd

2.) Click OK.

3.) At the command prompt, type:
    cscript //H:WScript

(You should receive confirmation that wscript.exe is now your default scripting engine).

4.) Type: exit

If none of this helps, you could try reinstalling the scripting engine:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...28-7071-4979-8a67-3cffcb0c2524&displaylang=en

7. Carcass Man

Well I did everything...before I downloaded the scripts there was not even a .js in my file type. Afterwards it went to a notepad, so I reset it to go to WScript.

Nada.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

I'll just have to have the professor email me the assignments!!:)

8. jscottd

jscottd

I'm having a similar problem. Anytime I click on something java-related, it doesn't work.

I can see the info on the bottom left corner of my IE window(6.0.2800) but nothing happens.

I've followed all of the above intructions with no success.

I'm trying to get into the Max Payne 2 website and I can't.

Anywho, any ideas would be welcomed.

I'm running W2k Pro SP4.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice