1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

JavaScript Application error message recommends download of Registry Cleaner.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by wgreene, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

For whatever reason an error message has popped up several times in recent days. It reads as follows:

NOTICE: You have not completed a scan, so the condition of your registry remains unknown. If your computer has errors in the registry database, it could cause unpredictable or erratic behavior, freezes, or crashes. Would you like to download Registy Cleaner to scan for and correct any registry problems now (recommended)?

I'm not sure what this means, but I presume the recommendation is legitimate. My first thought is that this is some sort of well-disguised advertisement, but I don't really believe so. Now that I think about it, it seems that I did interrupt a scan recently, so I'm wondering if that is why I keep getting this message. If so, perhaps all I need to do is run another scan through to completion.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone familiar with this error message.

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Why would you assume that the message is legitimate, in an environment where a now-common scam involves invoking pop-ups in order to scare you into downloading some "product" that will protect you.

Typically the "product" so recommended is ineffective or a scam itself. In the worst case, the "product" cleans up a problem that was directly caused by the same vendor who is selling the solution, or the "product" is a trojan.

Me, I would never download a product that recommended itself that way.

Do you have the Messenger Service turned on?

3. stantley

stantley

This sounds like you have some ad-ware on your system. If you haven't already, I would do a scan with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware.

4. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

No, my Messenger Service is turned off.

I will run Ad-Aware and SpyBot, though, to see what may show up. I also have SpyWare Blaster. I will post the results.

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Messenger service is the most common way to get those popups onto the system. Probably not the only way though.

I googled the message you listed and got exactly one hit. This seems strange; if it was a known scam there should be a lot of hits; if it is a legit message out of Java there should be a lot of hits.

I would proceed with extreme caution, were I you.

6. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Ad-Aware returned three critical items, all Tracking Cookies (IECache Entry; Category: Data Miner). I removed the three cookies, so maybe that will prevent the messages from reappearing. I guess I need to run Ad-Aware even more frequently than I normally do.

7. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I'm definitely trying to be as careful as possible. That's why I came here first to inquire about the possible legitimacy of the "recommended" Registry Cleaner download. The more I think about it, the fishier it sounds. In any event, I'm certainly not going to download it. I'm always leery of anything that pops up without warning, especially something that pops up repeatedly. Thanks for your suggestions.

8. Deodar

Deodar

Reg Cleaner is ok,but there are lots of alternatives(Ccleaner),& yeah I suspect any
    programme "advertising" like that too.Especially using JAVA,one of the security
    holes in IE (also ActiveX-disable,disable.) For our collective security, I believe one
    of the security updates @ Microsoft patches these vulnerabilities.It must because I
    no longer run either after updating;although also downloaded patches at SGC-
    also known as Shields Up.

9. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

My next question was going to be what to do about ActiveX. I gather from your post that you strongly advise keeping it disabled.

I found a Microsoft article titled How to Disable Active Content in Internet Explorer. I've never understood the workings of ActiveX and JavaScript, so I've never known how to deal with them when running IE. (Maybe I'm okay as long as I continue to use Firefox.) This article gives the following four sets of instructions:

(1) Configure Internet Explorer so that it does not run Active scripts automatically.

(2) Configure Internet Explorer so that it does not automatically use items that show active content, such as vertical marquees or animations.

(3) Verify that Internet Explorer's internal Java Just-In-Time (JIT) compiler is disabled.

(4) Configure Internet Explorer so that it does not run Java programs automatically.

I followed the first set of instructions so that now IE "does not run Active scripts automatically," but I didn't go any further. I'm wondering if I should set any or all of the other three configurations.

The article has one final set of instructions: Customizing Safety Levels for Active Content. I followed instructions but decided to leave all content zones at their default levels since I didn't know if it would be a good idea to raise them.

Am I correct in assuming that Firefox doesn't have these problems -- yet?

There's obviously an awful lot I don't understand about this topic, so I'm not sure that all of what I'm saying make sense. Therefore, I'm open to any and all informed opinions/suggestions regarding security settings.

10. stantley

stantley

Firefox avoided the active-x problem by not allowing it to work at all, but some sites (Like Windows Update) require active-x, so you have to use IE. There many ways to configure IE, but what I do to keep it simple is have the internet zone set to high security, the trusted sites set to medium and then add the few URL's I use to the trusted sites list.

Here are a couple of sites that explain the IE settings in more detail.

http://www.destroyadware.com/accounts/ctdp/iesettings/

http://www.jfitz.com/tips/ie_security_config.html

11. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your suggestions and the informative links. I will read the articles carefully and then decide how I want to configure my security settings.

12. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

The best way to configure your security is to just not use IE. Go with Firefox or Mozilla.

For those sites you MUST visit, that MUST have IE, use IE. Otherwise, don't let it. I actually have my IE on my Windows machines blocked from the internet via firewall; I have to explicitly give it permission before it can connect.

I don't think Microsoft will ever solve the Active-X security problem; the concept is (IMO) fatally flawed. This is one of the motivators behind their digital rights management push - which would solve the problem but at the cost of causing the user to lose control of his own computer.

Now, I must say that I use Mozilla in Linux and there is practically no content on the Web (other than active-x controls) that I cannot reach. And, if I must have Active-X in order to view a site, then I just don't need to view that site.

13. Flags

Flags

wgreene: I googled Registry Cleaner and got a lot of hits. It is a legitimate program, and since the error message did not give a url in the message, I see no reason to fear downloading it from say Major Geeks or another safe site and using it.
    I use registry cleaners weekly on both my machines and have never had any problems. Any cleaning it does is backed up and can be restored simply by double clicking the item.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/384769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice