Javascript, Form action=Post mailto:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

piamik2

I have a very simple form which I want site visitors to be able to fill out and email to me. When I hit my submit button, I do get the email and the form data, but it is not at all formatted. Can someone point me to where I can find out how to format so that the resulting email is easily readable?

First of all, I want to warn you about using mailto:xxx as your form action. It is very unreliable. If someone uses hotmail, gmail, or some other webmail as their email, the form will never post to you (unless it's set up in Outlook).

With that being said, no--there's really no way to format the output that is emailed to you unless you use a server side script (ASP, PHP, etc.). With any server-side technology, it shouldn't be too difficult to set up a script that will email you the form in a much easier to read format. If you're using a really cheap/free web host, those might not be an option, especially one that is capable of sending automatic emails. You're going to have to check with your web host as to what they'll offer you in those areas.

piamik2

I am entirely new to this whole web site thing, am not even the web master--and he's been out of town for a few weeks. What we are is a community theater group, and I'm trying to improve our ticket ordering. I've already gotten tremendous help here developing a database to track everything. Now, I'm trying to improve communication with our patrons.

So, I guess I'll need to find out about this PHP. The host of the web site is Cox, a pretty big company, so I imagine they must provide some such capability.

One reason I thought email would be a nice way to get the orders is that then users can actually see/know that their order has gone through. However, if it's unreliable then I'll have to find another way to get my form information. Guess I need to wait in the web master.

Thanks for the advice.

piamik2

This looks really terrific. I'm terribly new at all this. All I know is from my own surfing and library books, so it may take me a while, but this looks like just the ticket.

Thanks so much.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online