1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

JavaScript - is it a virus? Do I need it? If not how can I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Robert1, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

At various times I've been plagued by a screen coming up that says 'JavaScript updating', or asking for permission to update JavaScript.

I would like to know what JavaScript is. I did a search for it, but found out only that it is an 'object-oriented scripting language.' That means nothing to me. If I can get rid of this thing I'd like to do so. On the other hand, I am concerned that it actually is doing something important.

If someone would help me with this issue I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Robert

2. TheSlayerM

TheSlayerM

Hi! You can find basic info on java here: http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/definitions/java.html
    If you want to remove it from your computer go to Start>Control Panel>Add or remove programs and you should find it on the list of programs. You can also find your Java settings info if you go to Control panel and double click the Java icon! :)

3. TOGG

TOGG

You don't need Sun Java for most things but it doesn't do any harm if you have it installed and some things definitely won't work without it, such as the Secunia Software Inspector.

JavaScript is an entirely different thing and is usually embedded in your browser (at least that's what I thought). It is used in lots of places and could give you difficulties if you didn't have it. If you don't want to use JavaScript you can disable it in your browser's settings or, with Firefox, use the NoScript extension. I have never heard of JavaScript being updated independently of the browser, so you should probably treat that popup with some suspicion.

If you go to this page; http://www.javatester.org/ and click on 'JavaScript' at the top left, it should tell you if JavaScript is working in your browser and, if so, which version you have. In my Opera browser it is version 2.1 while in Firefox it's 1.7. I have no idea what it is for IE because I don't use it.

4. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

OK, guys, thanks for your time and the web pages you cited.

All best,
    Robert

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!