1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

JavaScript not performing to standards

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Buzzinator, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buzzinator

Buzzinator Thread Starter

I don't know how to explain this, but basically JavaScript is being a real thorn in my back. There is ALWAYS an unresponsive script every now and then, which not only causes Firefox to be unresponsive for a minute or so but the rest of my computer as well. It's also causing havoc to other games I play (i.e. Minecraft) that rely on Java, and it's really annoying me. I tried updating my Java, but that hasn't solved the problem. Any suggestions?

2. TOGG

TOGG

There are a couple of things you can check, once you appreciate that 'Java' can refer to Oracle (formerly Sun) Java or to JavaScript (JS). Despite the name being the same, they are completely different pieces of software. JS comes incorporated into your browser while Oracle Java is a stand alone program.

I have also noticed more 'unresponsive script' issues with recent versions of Firefox but I suspect that online games are more likely to be affected by Oracle Java problems.

Go here http://www.javatester.org/ and click on the box at top centre. This should produce a message advising you which Oracle version you have (it should be 1.6.0_23). Recent versions are supposed to remove earlier ones automatically, but it might be worth checking that you don't still have any old versions installed. You can then click on the orange 'Java Enabled?' box on the left of the page which should tell you if your browser can run java applets.

Finally, click on the orange 'Java Script' box. This should produce a message telling you that JS is working in your browser and specify the JS version and browser name. I'm using Opera so my JS version is 2.2 while the version for Firefox is 1.8 and IE is 1.3 (or it was the last time I looked).

If you get messages that either type of Java is not working, you will have to check your browser settings and any popup blockers or toolbars etc. which might be preventing them from working.

3. Buzzinator

Thanks for the reply. I've followed both steps, and produced the same results as you did. I'll await further instructions.

4. TOGG

TOGG

If the tester page has confirmed that both types of java appear to be working in your browser I'm not certain what other advice or 'instructions' I can offer.

As I said, I have noticed more unresponsive javascript warnings with the newer versions of Firefox but, because FF is not my default browser, I haven't had any serious problems as a result. I have no idea what might be causing this because I have always had the NoScript addon with FF (which blocks JS by default) but don't remember seeing these error messages in older versions, so I don't think NoScript is to blame.

It is possible that you have a toolbar or other program which affects things like Java but I'm afraid I can't tell you where to look because there are so many possibilities. Hopefully, someone that knows more about these things will be able to be more helpful. It might help anyone else that responds if you say which OS you are using, XP, Vista or W 7?.

As a matter of interest, can you play your games without problems if you use Internet Explorer?

5. Buzzinator

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. I actually never use IE, Firefox solely. The games I play are not browser-based, rather client-based. It's really annoying because when the scripts become unresponsive, so does the rest of my computer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!