1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Jedi Knight 2 Freezing

Discussion in 'Games' started by Venborgh, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Venborgh

Venborgh Thread Starter

Just upgraded system and suddenly having very frequent freezing problem with Jedi Knight 2 (Outcast) in multiplayer. Usually within the first 10-20 seconds of entering a map, sometimes longer, the screen freezes, I get a choppy looped sound, and I actually have to hard reboot to get out of it.

Basic System is:
    2GHZ Celeron, 256RAM
    Jetway MB (VIA chipset)
    GForce4 Ti4200 Video
    Soundblaster Live Sound
    WinXP Pro
    Broadband (cable)
    Has all the latest drivers.

Didnt see any resolution on LucasArts yoda's help desk or elsewhere. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. McTimson

McTimson

Try running it with the side of the case off, and maybe blowing a fan towards it, something could be overheating inside.

3. Venborgh

Venborgh Thread Starter

Hi McTimson. Thanks. Actually I have been running it with the case half off just because I've had to go back and play around with the devices a few times.

But why would it be only this game having a problem if it is a system overheating?

4. cahallmxj

cahallmxj

Venborgh:

Which componet did you upgrade?

If its just that game thats doing it you might want to backup your save games and reinstall it and see if that corrects teh problem. Somtimes that will fix the problem if you have a game installed from before you upgraded. Also you might want to reinstall your sound drivers and see if that helps.

Finally i rember reading somewhere, that for awhile the via chipset and SBlive didnt like each other, though if you had that sound card before you upgraded then that proably not your problem.

5. Venborgh

Venborgh Thread Starter

I think the SBlive/VIA conflict is possible. In fact I have had a mysterious sound/video problem in Asheron's Call 2 that no one in the world was able to resolve (though i figure it is due to IRQ sharing that cannot be changed in WinXP). Else, no other known problems.

I actually upgraded CPU, MB, Video Card, and OS, so it's hard to isolate. I did reinstall Jedi Knight 2 after a clean install of WinXP, though maybe it's worth another try.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice