1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Jerky mouse and stuttering sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jon12345, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jon12345

Jon12345 Thread Starter

Recently, I installed Civilisation 3 and Age of Empires 3 on the same day. One of these made me upgrade to Direct X 10 or something similar.

I think it was since this day that my sound plays in a stuttering way and the mouse is periodically jerky, so I guess they are connected.

What might this be? A hardware conflict? Or could the upgrade to Direct X 10 be the problem? Can I uninstall Direct X 10?

This is driving me nuts!

Thanks,

Jon

2. ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

Does the sound stutter and mouse jerk in Windows or other applications?

3. Jon12345

Jon12345 Thread Starter

It stutters using all applications. e.g. iTunes, Windows Media Player and so on. The mouse doesn't always jerk but goes through stages. e.g. at the moment I can circle the mouse around several times and nothing happens. Then, later on I might do the same thing and it periodically stops for a fraction of a second. It never used to do this.

4. flynstone

flynstone

Go Start/Help and Support and put "direct x" in the search bar. Use the diagnostic tool to resolve any problems.

5. Jon12345

Jon12345 Thread Starter

I have now done that but nothing! Could there be DMA conflicts or something like that? IRQ settings?

6. ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

Look in device manager for conflicts.
    Also try a driver update.

7. Jon12345

Jon12345 Thread Starter

I have had a look in device manager and I can't see anything with a question mark next to it. I presume that is what I am supposed to be looking for?

Also, I cannot find any driver updates for my sound card. Been hunting for them but nothing. It affects my mouse too so is it going to be more than just a sound driver issue? Could there be some other type of hardware conflict or something?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!