1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Jesus and Easter

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by valley, Apr 10, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. valley

valley Thread Starter

I dont know about you, but I am always reading things that make me nod my head in agreement or something that makes my heart swell with love and gratitude. This is one of them. If you have read something that has inspired you regarding the Lord Jesus Christ, please feel free to use this thread to share it with everyone else :)

What Difference Does Easter Make?
    by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson

So what if the Easter bunny wins the hearts of children everywhere? So why not strike "Easter vacation" from the vocabulary of our schools and substitute "Spring break"? What difference does Easter make anyway?

It makes a lot of difference to those who are in touch enough with reality to take life and death seriously. It made a lot of difference to a very real woman named Mary. Let me tell you her story.

Mary had the heart-wrenching honor of washing the dried blood from Jesus' lifeless body as two other followers prepared the tomb cut into Jerusalem's cold limestone. Mary wept as she washed--wept and remembered....

She had been born to luxury, heiress to a textile fortune, a native of Magdala, a town along the coast of Galilee. "Little good it did me," she mused. Money had brought the opposite of happiness. She look back at her teen years as a blur of painful, compulsive acting out. Her parents had thrown up their hands in despair, she recalled. She recollected the gnawing fear, the self-loathing that ate at her very core. And she could remember the caring boldness in Jesus' penetrating eyes as he had confronted the demons that tormented her and commanded them to be gone forever. That had been the last of the frantic, distraught Mary. A gentle, peace-filled Mary had taken her place. Until today.

Today she had seen her Lord die an excruciating death, his body weight hanging limp from the nails driven through his hands and feet, suspended from a cross like a common criminal.

Her heart caught in her throat as she remembered and wept and washed away the caked blood with her tears. She wept, too, as she watched the men lift Jesus' corpse onto the tomb's carved ledge, and roll a massive stone across the doorway.

Was all her hope for nothing? What of all the thousands of diseased bodies he had healed? The broken lives he had restored? The promises of the Kingdom of God?

But early Sunday morning she was back at the tomb to finish anointing his body. When she arrived the tomb stood open, stone pushed to the side, ashes of the Roman guards' watchfire still smoldering. "How can they be so cruel?" she cried as she ran to tell the apostles. So cruel.

But it wasn't cruelty that rolled away the stone that Easter morning. It was the powerful hand of God as Jesus Christ stepped forth brimming with Life.

Mary saw him, mistaking him for the gardener. But there was no mistaking his familiar voice--"Mary." She fell at his feet, tears of grief melting into tears of joy. "Rabboni," she said as she looked into his face. "Teacher."

Yes, Easter bunnies still capture the hearts of children and schools talk about Spring break, but you and I know what really happened on Easter.

In an instant history changed forever, because where once the human mortality rate had held stead at 100%, now it skipped a beat as Jesus, Savior of all mankind, stepped out of dead statistics into life. Death is the last word no longer for Jesus' followers, life is.

"Believe in Bhudda," some still insist amid the marketplace of the world religions. "Confucius," say the Chinese. "Mohammed," cry the Muslims. "Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh," shout his followers, and on it goes.

"Jesus," Mary would tell us, "He changed my life." And millions around the globe would echo, "Mine, too. He touched my life, too."

For while religious leaders have come and gone, the fact remains: only One stepped forth from the tomb. Only One has risen from the dead. Only One has conquered death. Only One offers the promise of eternal life to those who follow him.

"I am the resurrection and the life," Jesus said. "He who believes in me will live, even though he dies, and whoever lives and believes in me will never die."

So why do Jesus' followers gather in churches on Easter morning? To show off their Easter finery? God forbid. Rather
    • To celebrate the victory of Life over death,
    • To help their children and grandchildren share their faith that Jesus is alive, and
    • To declare that Jesus Christ is Lord indeed!

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Very nice Val! :) I hope this thread remains respectful to those of us who celebrate Easter and know its true meaning. Happy Easter Val...may God bless you and yours richly this Easter and every day of your lives. :) Take care and much love! Marlene :)

3. angelize56

Another by Dr. Wilson. :) Take care! angel

Jesus and the Easter Bunny
    by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson

Ask your average heathen youngster what Easter is all about and he'll tell you about the Easter bunny, and finding Easter baskets filled with that annoying grass that seems to stick to household furnishings long after Easter is past. And those pastel foil- covered, football things that are a sorry excuse for real chocolate. And, of course, there are Easter eggs to dye and jelly beans--you've got to have jelly beans. Black beans are best.

"And mommy, that's what Easter is."

"Oh, Jason, how cute."

How sad! Most children today don't know beans about Easter really means.

Why don't you tell the story of Jesus to your children or grandchildren this Easter? Tell them about the man who is God's Son, who came to show people the love God has for them. Tell them how evil people murdered him by nailing him to a cross. Tell them how Jesus was buried in a rock-hewn tomb. Let them hear how the Roman soldiers were powerless the morning of that third day when the stone rolled away and Jesus walked forth alive.

Tell your children that because of Jesus, even though people may die, they will not stay dead. That they can live forever with Jesus, and even their bodies will be raised from the dead just like Jesus' body was.

Now I'm sure that Jesus loves bunnies--he made them. And probably chocolate, too. But don't you think he gets a little impatient with parents and grandparents who exalt a rabbit over the Savior? And on his own special Day, too?

How about it? Will you tell them the real story this year? Maybe even take them to church where they'll hear the story told by experienced Sunday school teachers? Sure, buy some jelly beans and a wad of that clingy grass for their baskets. But don't suppress the real, fascinating truth of Jesus' triumph over death.

After all, those same children are trying day by day to make sense of the death and life they see around them. They have real hopes and real fears and a destiny unfolding. They deserve a real "Jesus Easter" this year.

4. jaye944

jaye944

yeah big up yaslef and respec !

<><

5. hewee

hewee

Thanks for the post Valley. :)

6. WolfRain

WolfRain

Very inspiring

7. Timichio

Timichio

Thanks for both of those posts! Val, you had me nodding in agreement there! :)

8. ladyjeweler

ladyjeweler

9. Deke40

Deke40

We are off to early service and will be with you in spirit if not in person.

HAPPY EASTER EVERBODY

10. mobo

mobo

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us be glad and regoice in it"

Happy Easter all.

Nice thread Val ;)

11. valley

valley Thread Starter

"O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" (1 corinthians 15:55)

Thanks be to God, Who gives us the ultimate victory through our risen Lord Jesus Christ!

Happy Easter everyone. It's a great day to be alive. :)

12. izme

izme

~The resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances. ~Robert Flatt

Happy Easter and God bless to all

><">

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      89.1 KB
      Views:
  13. boyoh53

boyoh53

Thank-you valley.

14. angelize56

Sunday, April 11, 2004 Posted: 1:33 PM EDT (1733 GMT)

VATICAN CITY -- Pope John Paul told the world in his Easter message Sunday that a culture of love had to defeat terrorism and the "logic of death" and revenge in Iraq, the Holy Land and other places where conflict reigns.

"May the culture of life and love render vain the logic of death," the 83-year-old pope declared to thousands of pilgrims in St Peter's Square, Rome, and to millions watching on TV.

John Paul delivered the message in his traditional "Urbi et Orbi" blessing -- Latin for "To the City and the World," as he celebrated Easter Mass on the flower-decked steps of St. Peter's Basilica.

The celebration -- the most important day in the Christian calendar when according to the Bible Jesus rose from the dead after crucifixion -- came amidst unprecedented security.

Speaking strongly and clearly despite having completed a grueling spate of Holy Week ceremonies, the pope urged the faithful to find the courage to confront the many evils facing the world today.

"In particular, may humanity find the strength to face the inhuman and unfortunately growing phenomenon of terrorism, which rejects life and brings anguish and uncertainty to the daily lives of so many hard-working and peaceful people," John Paul said.

He called for governments and international institutions to overcome the troubles afflicting people around the globe and work for a more peaceful world order -- stressing the Holy Land in particular.

"May world leaders be confirmed and sustained in their efforts to resolve satisfactorily the continuing conflicts that cause bloodshed in certain regions of Africa, Iraq and the Holy Land," he said.

Dressed in golden robes and a jeweled miter, the pope was alert and spoke clearly throughout the Mass, despite having struggled through a three-hour Easter Vigil that ended just a few hours earlier.

Thousands turned out to hear the pope's message.

On Friday, the pope, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, braved the chilly night air to preside over a reenactment of Christ's Passion at Rome's Colosseum.

In years past, John Paul himself had carried a light cross through the Good Friday ritual recreating the last hours of Jesus' life, but in recent years as his ailments worsened, he has left it to others to perform the Stations of the Cross.

On Sunday, John Paul celebrated Mass under a hazy and chilly sky, surrounded by cardinals in red and an arch of pink tulips and yellow daffodils arranged around the altar on the steps of St. Peter's.

At one point during the ceremony, he laughed heartily as a toddler in traditional Asian dress struggled up the stairs of the basilica toward him with her parents and brother to present offerings. He reached out to her and blessed her and the rest of the family.

Later Sunday, he was to deliver his annual Easter greetings -- this year in 62 different languages.

The tightened security around St. Peter's Square included Italian police and Carabinieri officers checking the bags of pilgrims and tourists as they entered the piazza and a ring of police cars at its edge.

Italy stepped up security around the Vatican, monuments, airports and other sites over the Easter holiday, as it did during Christmas.

15. shortnpretty

shortnpretty

(y) Absolutely Awesome Val!! Thanks

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice