1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Jittering CPU lag (especially when extracting)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Obligatory, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Obligatory

Obligatory Thread Starter

I've searched all over the net for a solution to this, but it hasn't seemed to yield very many results.

Ok, like, 3 weeks ago, I installed Internet Explorer 7, with the validation thing. I did the Obligatory restart and then this happened.

Everytime I try and extract something from winrar or winzip or even copy something (basically anything involving the Harddrive and shuffling files around) the CPU goes to 100 percent usage, and everything just slows down to hell.

I can do most things without lag, but running too many things at once lag the cpu a lot more than it used to. For example, I move the mouse around, and then all of a sudden it just stops. And then goes again. And this is too sudden for it to be a steady fragmenting of my drive.

I already uninstalled Internet Explorer 7, and got rid of the validation thing. But the lag is still there.

All of this make downloading and installing, as well as some gaming, nearly impossible. I already checked my harddrive for errors. My paging file is system set. I haven't defragmented yet, though I doubt, due to the spontaneity of this problem, that it is caused by fragmentation of a drive. My computer is a Toshiba M65.

I thank you ahead of time. Please help!

2. Obligatory

I've also run spybot Search and destroy, as well as zone alarm virus search. BTW

3. Obligatory

I just did a benchmark, apparently my harddrive is running at 3 megabytes per second. :/

How do I speed it back up to normal?

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

I experienced the exact same problem, Winrar taking forever. For me it came after a re-boot following the HD making some unpleasant noises. The noises went away but the speeds were now like yours. I would assume some reading problem has caused Windows to kick your drive into some slow (PIO) mode.

A program like HD Tune will benchmark and tell what your drive is capable of vs. what it's set at.

Or this way to try to re-enable DMA:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

I guess you could try running chkdsk and see what happens or maybe one of the HD's makers utlities may help.

http://tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

5. Obligatory

Thanks, but as it turns out from comments on other techboards, my harddrive, while absurdly fast (at first), generally experiences a sharp decrease in performance after 6 or so months.

And I'm already on DMA. :/

Its been 6 months. :/ Its not a very good long term computer. I'll poke around a bit too, but I've lost most of my hope. Thanks anyway!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice