Job application / scanning enclosures

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Eilenach

Hi!

I'm going to send a job application by mail and I'm having problems with the enclosures.

I've scanned all the enclosures (using 300dpi) and their sizes range from 200kB to 1,2Mb. I tried to paste all of them into Word and then convert it to pdf using "pdf995" (http://www.pdf995.com/), but it resulted in +36MB file. :(

Please help me to get them into a reasonable size!

Eilenach said:
Hi!

I'm going to send a job application by mail and I'm having problems with the enclosures.

I've scanned all the enclosures (using 300dpi) and their sizes range from 200kB to 1,2Mb. I tried to paste all of them into Word and then convert it to pdf using "pdf995" (http://www.pdf995.com/), but it resulted in +36MB file. :(

Please help me to get them into a reasonable size!
Yeah, but ... how many enclosures are there? :confused:

I don't know "pdf995". I've always used http://www.cutepdf.com/ with no probs. Maybe it would slim them down for ya?

HTH,
Andy

A PDF will be consistently larger than a text document because a PDF is more like an image than a text file. I'm not quite sure what you mean by enclosures? I tend to think of enclosures as structural devices, but it sounds like you mean frames within a form?

If you are scanning application forms in order to create digital forms, I think you're trying to go about this the hard way. You'd best be served using OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software like OmniForm, but it doesn't come cheaply. The alternative is to manually recreate the forms using Word tables and form fields. That sounds like a lot of work, and probably will be, but is a better method than embedding images of forms and overlaying textboxes for data entry.

Anyway, I might be way off base. If I am, nevermind this post.

chris.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I'm confused. If you are sending it by mail, why don't you just photocopy the attachments and staple them to your resume? :confused:

Doesn't your scanner have a setting to save as pdf? If not, what filetype did you scan them to in order to copy from and paste to Word?

Supplemental, it may be outmoded, but a typewriter is an extremely handy tool for this sort of thing. Make photocopies of the forms so you have backups in case you make an egregious typo.

chris.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
What's a typewriter? :eek:

Is that similar to an 8 Track? :p

By the way, I could be wrong, but I don't believe my scanner will save as .pdf either as a stand alone. I think you may have to have Acrobat installed.....

:p Typewriters are really handy!

About the other, there's no reason to scan directly to PDF if you want to digitize the hard copy form because you'd still have to add text fields and such.

Anywho.

chris.

Eilenach

Thanks for all the answers!

It seems to be quite difficult to get this well done. Anyhow, I chose the easy way (?) and scanned everything again, using 96dpi, which resulted in a 2,5Mb file, which I think is quite reasonable.

Once you paste the images into Word, left click any one of them and select "format image"

There will be a selection button available on the dialog box to "Compress Images"

Using this gives a further choice of "This image or all images", select all.

Should trim it down a bit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online